Warrendale Plating Co.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Paul Gotthold
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has determined that no further action is required at the Warrendale Plating Co., facility at this time. The decision is based on the EPA environmental indicator determinations, clean closure of the former lagoons and the review of existing information. In March 2001, EPA issued the final determination that no further corrective actions are necessary at the facility at this time.
- Closure Activities
- After the Facility shut down, steps were initiated to close the two earthen-base surface impoundments. The sludge and impacted soils were removed and properly disposed of offsite. Approximately 185 tons of sludge and soil were removed and disposed of offsite from 1986 to 1997. In October 2000, the former surface impoundments were backfilled with clean soil and re-graded.
- Post-closure groundwater monitoring, surface water sampling, and post-excavation soil sampling were conducted by the Facility under the supervision of the EPA and PADEP. The program entailed groundwater monitoring at the facility groundwater wells and the Breakneck Creek, which is located downgradient from the Facility. No contaminates of concern were detected in groundwater beneath the Facility and the Breakneck Creek. Post excavation soil samples demonstrated that the former surface impoundments were closed according to regulatory standards.
- The Warrendale Plating Company facility occupies approximately 2.0 acres and is located on Mars-Valencia Road in Adams Township, Butler County, Pennsylvania. The site comprised of a wooden and concrete block, two former surface impoundments and a one story building, which housed the chrome plating operations. The Facility re-plated chrome bumpers and automotive trim parts from 1960s to 1981 when a fire permanently closed the plating operations. Subsequent to the fire, the facility underwent renovation to the one story building for use as a warehouse. The Facility no longer conducts plating operations at the site. The property is rented to Sub-technical, Inc. and Ronco International who use the one story building as a general workshop for maintenance of equipment, warehouse for work tools and corrosion inhibitors, and general office space.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7 pages, 158 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 164 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Warrendale Plating Co.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.