Clifton Precision North
(Current Owner: Capp Real Estate)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Maureen Essenthier
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
- In 2007, PADEP conducted an inspection of the site and reviewed historical information regarding waste management and possible releases at the facility, including PADEP hazardous waste inspections from 1982 until 1996. No spills or releases from the site are documented in the project file. No releases were reported.
- No groundwater data is available. No wells exist on the Facility or on nearby properties. Groundwater was not encountered during the excavation of a fuel oil tank that was removed in 1994 (12 foot deep excavation). Properties within a 3-mile radius use public water supplies as a potable water source, with the exception of one residential well. The residential well is located adjacent to Darby Creek, approximately ½ mile from the Facility. The well is located upstream of the Facility and hydraulically upgradiant of the expected direction of groundwater flow. Although there is no evidence or reports of releases of contaminants from the facility, and the residential well is located upgradient of the Facility, several attempts were made to sample the well water as a precautionary measure. The resident/property owner did not provide permission to sample the well water.
- No environmental information is available for the removal of the 500 gallon underground waste storage tank in 1985. Soil samples were collected during the removal of the 12,000 gallon underground fuel oil tank in 1993. PADEP reviewed the closure report for the fuel oil tank and determined that "no further action" was needed, by letter dated August, 9, 1994.
The Facility is located at Marple and Broadway Avenues in Clifton Heights Borough, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. The Facility is bordered by Broadway Avenue and residential properties to the north, industrial properties and Darby Creek to the east, a railroad track and residential properties to the south, and Marple Avenue and residential properties to the west.
- The facility operated from 1955 until 1996. Various electrical components were produced and assembled at the site. Waste generated at the site during the facility operations included solvents,
plating waste and oil. Waste was stored in above-ground tanks, underground tanks and drum storage areas. All waste, equipment, and storage containers were removed from the Facility between July 1993 and August 1994. The site is currently used as office space and for storage. It is currently owned by Capp Real Estate, who leases the building space to several tenants.
- Waste generated at the site during the facility operations included solvents, plating waste and oil.
- Institutional controls, if required, will be determined at the time of remedy selection.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [4pp, 141 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [3pp, 95 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [6pp, 430 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Clifton Precision North|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager:Ms. Maureen Essenthier (215) 814-3416