Lyondell Chemical Co.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Grant Dufficy
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3455
An Environmental Indicator (EI) inspection was conducted in April 2013 to determine whether human exposures to contamination and the migration of contaminated groundwater were under control. Although it appears that contamination at the facility is minimal, further investigation will likely be necessary in order to determine whether both EIs are under control. Once EPA/state completes this review process, an environmental indicator determination will be prepared and posted to this website.
Lyondell Chemical Company (‘Lyondell’, formerly ARCO Chemical Company [ACC]) began operations in October 1978. The facility served as a research and development center focusing on chemicals (primarily propylene oxide and its derivatives) which are used to make consumer end products. Research conducted at the facility ranged from small bench-scale experiments performed in its laboratories to pilot plants. No commercial chemical manufacturing was performed at this facility.
Currently, the Newtown Square Technology Center serves as a research and development center for the company’s chemicals and fuels businesses. Research and development work focuses on chemicals used to make consumer end products such as plastics, furniture foams, athletic footwear, paints, cosmetics, fabrics, gasoline and more. The facility is currently operated by LyondellBassell and continues to operate as a research and development center.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[ 4 pp, 224 kb, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [ 8 pp, 3430kb, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination -Groundwater Migration [ 10 pp, 784kb, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Lyondell Chemical Co.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The site is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Grant Dufficy(215) 814-3455.