Kalas Manufacturing Plant 4
(Formerly: Whittaker Corp.-Trojan Yacht Div. Elk)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Tran Tran
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-2079
- After removals of contaminated soils and several groundwater investigations at the former Trojan Yacht facility, the final remedy is complete and no further action is required.
- The Facility received a release of liability from PADEP through Pennsylvania's Act 2 program on October 28, 2008. EPA's Final Decision of Corrective Action Complete without Controls for the facility became effective June 1, 2010.
- Constructed in 1955, the former Trojan Yacht facility manufactured pleasure wooden boats and fiberglass boats from 1955 to 1898. The fiberglass processes required the use of toluene, methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) peroxide, and acetone. The site was leased to A.H. Hoffman, Inc. from 1995 to 2006. A.H. Hofffman manufactured and processed plant and garden fertilizer . In 2006, the Site was leased to Dean Landis Trucking for storage and maintenance of tractor trailers. Primary contaminants at the Facility included acetone, styrene, and toluene in soil and tetrachloroethene in the groundwater.
- Primary contaminants at the Facility included acetone, styrene, and toluene in soil and tetrachloroethene in the groundwater.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7 pages, 147 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 141 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 8 pages, 134 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Kalas Manufacturing Plant 4|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site's future use is yet to be determined.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Ms. Tran Tran (215) 814-2079.