On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Kevin Bilash
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-2796
- Corrective Action Status:
Corrective Action Underway
- Human Exposure Controls: TBA
- Ground Water Controls: TBA
An Environmental Indicator (EI) Inspection Report was completed in August 2010. It was determined that there was insufficient information available to determine if current human exposures and migration of groundwater are under control.
EPA and the current owners are in discussion regarding the need to perform an investigation to address the information needed to determine if human health and the environment are protected.
The facility is an approximately 54,000 square-foot single-story building on a 7.1-acre parcel of land located in East Hempfield Township at 3050 Hempland Road, west of Centerville Road and south of United States (US) Route 30.
The facility began operation in 1971 under the ownership of International Signal and Control Corporation, subsequently known as ISC Defense Systems, Inc., as noted in the Part A Permit Application that was submitted in 1980. The land was undeveloped, residential, and/or agricultural from at least 1864 until the construction of a structure similar to the present-day structure in 1973. ISC conducted electronics manufacturing operations at the facility from approximately 1973 to 1993 and possibly used solvents in the manufacturing and assembly of electronic components.
ISC Defense Systems, Inc., a division of International Signal and Control Corporation, was acquired by Ferranti International, P.L.C. in 1987, according to a March 1990 news item in the New York Times. According to a letter dated May 18, 1993, it appears that the Ferranti Technologies, Inc. division was leasing the facility from High Associates, a division of High Industries. The lease was being terminated by Ferranti Technologies, Inc., and the property was intended to be sold by High Associates.
In 1995, Emtrol purchased the property from High Associates, according to a telephone interview on October 29, 2008. Emtrol used most of the building space for a design and engineering office. Some space was also used for assembly of electronic controls and automatic storage equipment in support of the baked goods industry. In April 2003, Emtrol became a subsidiary of Weldon Solutions, Inc. of York, Pennsylvania, which acquired its assets. On April 29, 2003, Weldon Solutions, Inc. originally announced that the facility would continue to operate; however, subsequent information (supplied on May 12, 2008) indicated that Weldon acquired only non-physical assets and intellectual property.
The physical property and structures of the facility were acquired by YLC, Inc., and the entire building was stripped down and facilities were installed for York Technical Institute (YTI), which started operations in 2003. In a letter dated August 29, 2005, Originators Resource Group, Inc. indicated the owner as YTI, Inc. and that the property was under contract to be sold to Blackford Development. Blackford Development purchased the property shortly after YTI started their operations and, as of 2008, were leasing it to YTI (personal conversation; October 30, 2008).
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Factsheet [ 2 pp, 28k, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The site is being reused.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr Ken Bilash (215) 814-2796