Allegheny Ludlum Corp Latrobe
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Khai M. Dao
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-5467
Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
Mr. Gerald H. Tripoli
Greensburg District Office
RR 2, P.O. Box 603-C
Greensburg, PA 15601
Phone: (724) 925-5404
- In August of 1999, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) conducted a site visit. The visit consisted of a facility tour, and information gathering to assess the current status of the facility. EPA has determined that both Environmental Indicators for human exposures and groundwater migration are under control. The facility will continue to implement the existing groundwater monitoring program to ensure that groundwater migration will continue to be under control.
- The Teledyne Vasco Company Latrobe facility is located in Derry Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, north of the Latrobe City limits. The facility, situated on approximately 80 acres of land, is bordered by woodlands on the northeast and south, and by Route 981 on the west.
- Vasco was founded in 1922 at the current site. Ownership before 1911 is not known. Teledyne Vasco has owned the property and facility since the mid-1960's, when Teledyne bought into Vanadium Alloy Steel Company (VASC). In 1940, Vasco sold 6.5 acres of land in the center of the property to Toyad Company, which manufactures brassiere padding. The Toyad Company has since changed its name to Chestnut Ridge Foam Company.
- From the mid-1960's to 1990's the company has manufactured high-speed tools and specialty steels. Teledyne Vasco did not produce an end product; it fabricated various sizes of rod and wire components used by other companies to manufacture specialty products, such as surgical needles, aircraft landing gear, and missile tools. Finished manufactured products consist of molded ingots and pressed bars.
- In the late-1990's, Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corp. purchased the Vasco facility and changed the name to Allegheny Ludlum Corp Latrobe. Currently the facility is not operational. Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corp. hopes to re-start plant operations in the near future.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7 pages, 25 KB, About PDF ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 24 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is unused.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Khai M. Dao (215) 814-5467.