Ecology Chemical & Refining Co.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Paul Gotthold
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- In May 2009, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) performed an Environmental Indicator visit
- In August 2010, EPA made a determination that human exposures and groundwater releases at the site were under control and therefore no further RCRA corrective action was necessary
- There are no institutional controls at this time.
- Ecology Chemical and Refining Company operated as a hazardous waste collection, storage, and/or transportation facility between 1981 and 1991. During the history of its operations, the facility accumulated wastes from small quantity generators (SQGs). The facility typically received and stored the wastes in drums until a shipment was ready and then shipped the wastes to treatment/storage/disposal (TSD) facilities outside of Pennsylvania.
- The facility ceased operation as an interim status storage facility in 1984, and continued to only transport waste (while serving only as a transit storage location) until 1991. The property was leased to T&C Industries, Inc. in 1992, which conducted machining operations for a Westinghouse entity. After T&C Industries, Inc., Kennametal (subsequently, the Extrude Hone Corporation, a division of Kennametal) occupied the facility. In 2009, Extrude Hone Corporation maked engineered metal-finishing of equipment for automotive, aerospace, fluid power, food processing, semiconductor, medical, and mold and die industries worldwide. Extrude Hone Corporation develops and supplies advanced manufacturing machinery, machine tools, and contract machining services for deburring, polishing, and accurate surface finishing. No hazardous wastes were generated or stored by Extrude Hone Corporation at this location, according to the representative of the company during the site visit in 2009
- The facility is located in an established residential area serviced by narrow streets. The property is approximately 200 feet wide (along the east-west direction) by 500 feet (along the north-south direction), with Brush Creek Road (locally known as Trolley Street) adjoining the eastern boundary of the property. A small unnamed tributary to Brush Creek traverses along the western boundary of the property. The facility property area is approximately 2.3 acres.
- In August 2010, EPA made a determination that human exposures and groundwater releases at the site were under control and therefore no further RCRA corrective action was necessary.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 80 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 4 pages, 24 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Ecology Chemical & Refining Co.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site's future use is yet to be determined.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.