Carlisle SynTec, Inc.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- EPA prepared a Statement of Basis that was published for public notice for 30 days beginning on November 13, 2007 and ending on December 13, 2007. The Statement of Basis proposed a determination of Corrective Action Complete Without Controls. Guidance recommends that EPA make this determination when the objectives have been met and the areas subject to the determination do not require any additional action or measures to ensure the remedy remains protective of human health and the environment. However, after internal discussion, it was discussed that the decision should actually be Corrective Action Complete With Controls due to EPA's reliance on Institutional Controls not specific to the facility, but city ordinances and common law property transfer requirements to ensure the remedy remains protective of human health and the environment. This is due to an identified area-wide TCE plume which is thought to be attributed to an old dump site, and supplementary reports from the file reviews assured EPA that the plume is not related to this facility. There is no facility-related contaminated groundwater. EPA has verified there is a governmental control restricting the use of groundwater for human consumption governed by the Code of the Borough of Carlisle § 251-8 [Mandatory connection and application].
- EPA finalized the Final Decision and Response to Comments (FDRTC), taking into consideration the discussion above, on January 15, 2008. The FDRTC is available, as part of the Administrative Record, to the public at the EPA Region 3 Office or by contacting the EPA Project Manager listed below.
- The "Current Human Exposures Under Control" Environmental Indicators (EI) was completed on April 20, 2004. The "Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control" EI was completed on September 12, 2007. The EIs completed have status codes of "Yes, Under Control" for both.
- Carlisle SynTec, Inc. consists of approximately 90 acres located on Ritner Highway in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. Carlisle SynTec Systems (CSS) and its sister company Carlisle Tire & Rubber (CT&R) have used the site for manufacturing and warehousing rubber products since 1969. Plant No. 4, the CSS Rubber Manufacturing Facility, produces rolls of rubber roofing membranes by mixing raw production materials to form synthetic rubber. Plant No. 6, the CSS Adhesives Facility, was built in 1983 to manufacture solvent based adhesives for rubber roofing applications.
- The facility was used for manufacturing and warehousing rubber products, there is no facility-related contaminated groundwater.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 11 pages, 79 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7 pages, 24 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 9 pages, 31 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Carlisle SynTec, Inc.||Carlisle SynTec, Inc. GeoSpatial PDF Map [PDF, 1400 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map )
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.