ICI Explosives USA Inc.
(Formerly: Expert Management, Inc.)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Linda Matyskiela
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3420
- After prior removals of hazardous wastes and contaminated soils and several groundwater investigations at the former ICI Explosives USA Inc. facility, the final remedy is complete and consists of institutional controls to eliminate exposures to any contamination remaining on-site. These controls require deed notices barring residential or residential-type land uses of the Facility property and prohibiting groundwater use.
- The Facility received a release of liability from PADEP through Pennsylvania's Act 2 program for two of the four parcels at this site, in September 1998 and January 2002. The other two parcels did not seek release of liability under Act 2. EPA's Final Decision of Corrective Action Complete with Controls for the Facility became effective September 28, 2007.
- The property has been used for explosives manufacturing since 1907 when the Potts Powder Company started operations to support the commercial coal industry in the region. In 1913 Atlas Powder Company purchased the operations and continued manufacturing. In 1971, ICI Americas, Inc. purchased Atlas Powder Company and sold off most of the manufacturing operations in 1973. These "sold" operations formed a new Atlas Powder Company. ICI Americas repurchased these Atlas Powder Company assets in 1990 and renamed the facility ICI Explosives USA Inc. in 1992. The explosives manufacturing operations ceased in the mid-1990s.
- In 2001, ICI Explosives USA Inc. changed its name to E-One Holdings Inc. and divested this property to a new subsidiary, Expert Management Inc. In December 2002, EMI became a wholly owned subsidiary of ICI Americas Inc., and is no longer associated with E-One Holdings Inc. EMI has sold the property
- Two of the parcels are currently owned by Copperhead Chemical Company; one is owned by Bella Terra Farms; and one was transferred to the Pennsylvania Game Commission..
- Primary contaminants at the Facility included lead, mercury, arsenic in soil and groundwater and trichloroethene (TCE) and perchloroethylene (PCE) in groundwater. Facility contaminants have been eliminated by requiring institutional controls that prohibit groundwater use and restrict the Facility property to non-residential purposes
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 80 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|ICI Explosives USA Inc.||ICI Explosives GeoSpatial PDF Map [PDF, 1392 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map )
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Ms. Linda Matyskiela (215) 814-3420.