ANH Refractories Co.
(Formerly: Harbison Walker Refractories)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Khai M. Dao
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-5467
- As part of the Environmental Indicator (EI) inspection and evaluation for Current Human Exposures and Migration of Contaminated Groundwater, a comprehensive record search and review were conducted by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protections (PADEP) and its contractor, Michael Baker Jr., Inc (Baker). This undertaking consisted of evaluating the Facility's manufacturing operations and waste management practices, RCRA permit applications, historical spills and releases, documentation of previous site inspections, RCRA closure activities and correspondence between the EPA, PADEP and the Facility.
- In April 2009, PADEP and Baker conducted a site visit. The visit consisted of a plant tour and information gathering to assess the current status of the Facility. No obvious areas of concern were identified during the visit. Historically, there appears to be no indications of spills or releases that have negatively impacted soil, groundwater, surface water, or air that would lead to adverse impacts to human health or the environment at this time.
- EPA determined that there is no unacceptable human exposure to contamination nor is there any evidence of groundwater contamination caused by the Facility. Furthermore, EPA concludes that there have been no past or current releases that warrant further investigation or corrective action at this Facility at this time. In November 2009, EPA issued a Final Determination that no further action or land use controls are required at the Facility at this time. The Facility continues to operate under the Hazardous Waste Storage Permit (permit number PAD083960286) issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) for the storage and treatment of hazardous wastes.
- The Facility was constructed in 1958 and is located in West Mifflin, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. In 2000, Harbison-Walker became a conglomerate of ANH Refractories Company (ANH) that includes A.P. Green and the North American Refractories Company. Subsequently, ANH renamed the Harbison-Walker facility to the ANH Refractories Technology Center. The Facility started operation in 1959 as a research laboratory that conducted chemical and physical tests on refractory clays and other ceramic materials. Presently, the Facility specializes on "post-mortem" testing of refractory materials, furnace lining, and testing of competitors' products. Only small quantities of wastes are produced from the tests, which translate to less than 1,000 kilograms of wastes generated and accumulated per month. For this reason the Facility is designated as a conditionally-exempt small quantity generator (CESQG) and does not require a waste storage permit.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7 pages, 250 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 268 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|ANH Refractories Co.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site's future use is to be determined.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Khai M. Dao(215) 814- 5467