Safety Kleen Corp.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Paul Gotthold
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- No further action is required. PADEP was responsible for the review and approval of certification of closure of this facility. PADEP's Waste Management Program reviewed the closure of the hazardous waste drum storage area. PADEP's Environmental Cleanup Underground Storage Tank Program was responsible for the review of the tank closure. Clean closure of the drum storage area and secondary containment area was approved on April 29, 1996. Closure certification took effect after one year, i.e. April 26, 1997. The closure of the 8000 gallon UST was approved on February 14, 1996 while the closure of the 1000 gallon UST was approved on May 23, 1996. A final letter, from Safety-Kleen, confirming clean closure for the entire site was received by the PADEP on June 24, 1996.
- The Safety-Kleen Corporation (Safety-Kleen) property located at 131 Second Street Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania in Luzerne County was operated as an interim status RCRA TSD facility for the storage of characteristic and listed hazardous wastes prior to being taken to be recycled. The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) received a closure report for the removal of hazardous waste tank and drum storage areas on July 20, 1993. The tank storage area had one 8000 gallon (used product storage) and one 1000 gallon (sludge tank system) underground storage tanks (UST) used for the storage of spent mineral spirits (Waste Petroleum Naphtha, combustible liquids, UN1255, D001/D008). The drum storage area was 313 square feet with a maximum storage capacity of 910 gallons of waste mineral spirits sludge, waste immersion cleaner, and waste perchloroethylene.
- Under the Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA), EPA has set national goals to address high priority RCRA corrective action facilities by the year 2005. EPA is evaluating two key indicators for each facility: Current Human Exposures Under Control and Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control. The Safety-Kleen facility is one of EPA Region III's high priority facilities and falls under this initiative. RCRA Corrective Action activities at the Safety-Kleen facility were conducted under the direction of both EPA and the PADEP.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Safety Kleen Corp. Wilkes-Barre PA|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.