Titan Energy Park
Formerly: Bolton Metal Products Ltd, Cerro Products Co.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3455
- Corrective Action Status:
Corrective Action Underway
- Human Exposure Controls: TBA
- Ground Water Controls : TBA
The Marmon Group remains as the responsible party for the Bolton Metal Products cleanup. According to the 2010 Remedial Investigation Report (RIR), Marmon sold their stock shares to Bolton MKM, and Marmon retained the environmental liability. Marmon contracted with Chambers Environmental Group, Inc. (Chambers) to assist with PADEP Land Recycling Program (Act 2) relief of liability for the site using Act 2 Site Specific Standards (SSS).
Currently the site is undergoing remediation under the PADEP Land Recycling Program (Act 2). A Cleanup Plan for Plant 1 for the remediation of soil and groundwater was submitted to PADEP in July 2010 and was approved in accordance with the provisions of Act 2 on August 23, 2010. A Cleanup Plan for the Eastern hillside, South Spring, and South Yard for the remediation of soil and groundwater was submitted to PADEP in June 2011 and was approved in accordance with the provisions of Act 2. A Cleanup Plan for the Plant 4 Area for the remediation of soil and groundwater was submitted to PADEP in March 2012 and was approved in accordance with the provisions of Act 2.
Cerro Metal Products Company (Cerro) was a brass smelting and fabricating facility located in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania. It had a foundry to produce copper, brass, and specialty alloy rods and wire for industrial applications. Operations included raw metal processing, pickling, annealing, sizing, grinding, and finishing and employed more than 500 employees. The primary metals used, stored, and handled at the site included brass products, lead, copper, and zinc as raw materials. Sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide for brass pickling operations were also stored. The facility consists of The North Yard, Plant 1, South Spring Plant, Plant 4, South Yard, and the Eastern Hillside.In 1976, Cerro merged with the Marmon Group, Inc. (a Berkshire Hathaway Company). In February 2007, Cerro was sold to the Bolton MKM Group, headquartered in the United Kingdom, and the facility operated as Bolton Metal Products, Ltd. In February 2008, Bolton announced the closure of the Bellefonte brass rod manufacturing operation as well as the sale of its business and equipment to Chase Brass & Copper Co., Inc. located in Montpelier, OH
There is an institutional control which applies to a portion of the facility called Plant 4. This institutional control is an Environmental Covenant executed pursuant to the Pennsylvania Uniform Environmental Covenants Act.
The use of Plant 4 is restricted to nonresidential purposes as that term is defined in the Land Recycling and Environmental Remediation Standard Act (Act 2) and its regulations (this restriction applies to schools, nursing homes or other residential-style facilities or recreational areas). Additionally, Plant 4 is subject to the following activity and use limitations, which the then current owner and each subsequent owner of the Property, and its tenants, agents, employees and other persons under its control, shall abide by:
1) Groundwater may not be used as a potable water supply nor for agricultural purposes unless tested and treated accordingly for its intended purposes, as approved by writing by the Department of Environmental Protection; and,
2) A soil handling plan that includes notification to the Department of Environmental Protection shall be developed if soil will be disturbed within Plant 4, and the handling of all soil must comply with the Management of Fill Policy, Document Number 258-2182-773.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Factsheet[PDF, 2 pages, 27 kB, About ]
- PA DEP Corrective Action Environmental Covenant - Deed Restriction [PDF, 16 pages, 1.69 MB, About ]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Titan Energy Park|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site's future use is yet to be determined.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Grant Dufficy (215) 814-3455.