(Formerly: Pittsburgh Ind. Plating)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Office of Pennsylvania Remediation
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-202
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- On August 13, 2013, the Environmental Indicator for Current Human Exposures Under Control was a Yes. On August 13, 2013, the Environmental Indicator for Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control was a Yes. Currently the investigation is underway.
Benzene was detected at 265 ug/L due to a release from a former gasoline UST. The groundwater at the site has not formally received non-use aquifer, however the facility and surrounding properties are on public water. The Buyers covenants in the CO&A included not to use the groundwater for any consumptive use. MW-4 & MW-5 had Benzene above the limit, MW-3 which is down gradient of the source area did not contain petroleum compounds. September 24, 1996 PADEP stated the requirements of the CO&A have been met, the groundwater to surface water pathway is not relevant.
After approximately 250 tons of soil was excavated, treated and re-introduced into the excavation as clean backfill. Confirmation soil samples analyzed for TPH and BTEX following the source area remediation showed that these constituents were less than analytical detection limits or were well below PADEP generic groundwater protection levels. Two sampling locations were above the Act 2 soil-to-groundwater MSC for used aquifers, soil is capped beneath the building and cyanide was not detected in groundwater above the MSCs. Benzene in soil was detected in soil sampling location at 10-12 feet bgs in the UST area that exceeded the used aquifer soil-to groundwater MSC. The exceedance is located outdoors adjacent to the building and is capped by an asphalt parking area.
The facility is situated on approximately 5 acres of land along Herron Ave in Pittsburg, Allegheny County, PA. There are two buildings located on site. Building one is now a mixture of office, flex space, light industrial and warehouse/distribution. Building two is now used to store virgin chemicals.
- Some of the site's key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environemental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures[PDF, 3988 KB, 9 pages, About PDF]
- Environemental Indicator Determination - Groundwater[PDF, 3938 KB, 9 pages, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
To englarge photo or map click on thumbnail.
The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager:Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.