Sapa Extrusions Inc.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Griff Miller
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
- EPA and the US Army Corps of Engineers evaluated this facility, beginning with a site inspection on April 10, 2002. Several solid waste management units and potential sources of contamination were evaluated. After a review of the data collected, EPA has determined that the facility meets both environmental indicators.
- The facility is located in Cressona, Schuylkill County, PA. In 1993, EPA resolved concerns over soil contamination with PCBs at the site with the signing of two agreements with Alcoa. Basically, these two agreements required Alcoa to investigate and remediate several areas of the plant that had been contaminated with PCBs as a result of routine handling of hydraulic oils that found their way into the waste water treatment system.
- EPA has concluded that these issues have been largely resolved, and that plant conditions and current activities represent no threat to human health or local groundwater.
- Primary contaminants include PCBs that were historical components of the hydraulic and electrical equipment used at the facility. PCB contamination was spread throughout the facility primarily through hydraulic oil leaks that were collected in the facility drain system and treated in the Oily Waste Treatment Plant. Remediation of the facility under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) is largely complete. Remaining areas of contamination either have very low likelihood of exposure (i.e. are in inaccessible or unoccupied areas of the facility), or work practices have been implemented to reduce worker exposure to contamination. No other exposures or receptors to PCB contamination from the facility are expected.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [7pp, 25 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [8pp, 32 KB, about pdf
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Sapa Extrusions Inc.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- Sapa continues to use the property in the production of aluminum ingots, billets, slabs, and other value-added aluminum products for various industries.