New York Wire - Wire Facility
On This Page
The final decision of Complete without Controls became effective February 7, 2012 after a 30-day public comment period. No further action is required to make the New York Wire property suitable for any type of land use.
EPA evaluated available information and determined in October 2009 that both human exposures to contamination and migration of contaminated groundwater were under control at the New York Wire facility. The facility completed Pennsylvania’s Act 2 process with a Final Report that was approved in August 2009 by PADEP, granting the facility a release of liability for inorganic contaminants.
Operations at the facility began in 1935 by the Root Corporation under the name of Ram’s Head Wire. Since that time, the facility has manufactured various types of wire, screen, and mesh products via wire drawing operations.
- Hazardous contaminants at the facility were primarily petroleum hydrocarbons in soil from fuel oil tank leaks that were remediated to protective standards. Other contaminants included inorganics (metals) in soil and groundwater that were also partially remediated. The inorganic constituents that remain in groundwater beneath the facility are considered secondary contaminants by EPA and are not of sufficient toxicity or concentration to present a hazard to human health or the environment.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments[PDF, 2 pages, 99 kB, About ]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 5 pages, 80 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 27 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|New York Wire|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
New York Wire continues to use the facility to produce wire screen and mesh products.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Griff Miller (215) 814-3407.