Safety Kleen Corp.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Paul Gotthold
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- Consistent with EPA's February 2003 document, Final Guidance on Completion of Corrective Action Activities at RCRA Facilities (reference 68 FR 8757), EPA made a final determination of "Corrective Action Complete without Controls" for the Safety Kleen, Incorporated facility on June 16, 2007. The final remedy of "Corrective Action Complete without Controls" for the Safety Kleen, Incorporated means that Corrective Action is complete and no land use controls are required for the Facility.
- The Environmental Indicators (EIs) were completed on March 7, 2007. The two EIs are called "Current Human Exposures Under Control" and "Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control." The EIs completed reflect the decision of No Further Action and have status codes of "Yes, Under Control" for both.
- The site is the location of a former sales office and warehouse for Safety Kleen, Inc., located on the northern portion of an approximately one-acre lot at 147 West King Street, Malvern, Chester County, Pennsylvania. The facility was used as a distribution and collection center for solvents, cleaning solutions, and related products used in small parts cleaning. The property was leased to Safety Kleen from 1977 until 1988. The building was a machine shop before it was leased to Safety Kleen. The facility is currently operational as an auto-parts supply center.
- Safety Kleen closed the facility in 1994 under a PADER-approved closure plan. Closure included excavation of approximately 1,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil. The soils were removed from the gravel parking lot east of the building, where Safety Kleen used four underground storage tanks ("USTs") at various intervals of the site's history, and the areas designated as dump-and-fill areas no. 2 and no. 1. These dump-and-fill areas, no. 2 and no. 1 respectively, were a metal storage shed outside the main building on the northeastern corner and the initial area detached from the building, approximately 30 feet east of the final dump-and-fill area.
- Groundwater monitoring was performed beginning in December, 1991 and ending in March, 1994. The Summary Groundwater Quality Assessment and Closure Report indicated, and a PADER letter agreed, that the contaminants of concern had declined to an acceptable level and Safety Kleen no longer had to conduct groundwater activities at the Facility.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Safety Kleen Corp.Malvern PA|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.