Geisinger Health System
(Formerly: Aldan Industries, Inc.)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Paul Gotthold
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- EPA has evaluated the data for this site and reports from the Pennsylvannia Department of Environmental Protection showing that all past releases of hazardous waste or hazardous material have been remediated and no further action is necessary. On November 1, 2000, EPA began a Public Comment period for the proposal that no further Corrective Action is needed at Aldan. The comment period ended on December 18, 2000 and EPA did not receive any comments. On December 20, 2000, EPA issued a Final Determination that no further corrective actions are necessary at the Facility at this time.
- The Aldan Industries, Inc. Facility in Mahoning Township, PA is an engineered coated fabrics manufacturing plant in business since August 1, 1997 and is currently subject to conditionally exempt small quantity generator regulations. Aldan Industries, Inc. has not generated any hazardous waste to date.
- Prior to Aldan Industries, Inc. acquiring the site, TRW, Inc. and Textron, Inc. owned and operated manufacturing facilities at this location. These companies manufactured jet engine components and generated spent halogenated solvents, wastewater treatment sludge, and chromium and lead containing wastes. In January 1987, TRW, Inc. retained a consulting firm to conduct a hydrogeologic investigation to identify areas of environmental concern. An assessment revealed contaminated soils beneath the waste oil storage area and machine cleaning operations area. Monitoring wells revealed some groundwater impact. Under the cleanup, 265 cubic yards of soil were removed. The groundwater only required monitoring for 1 year. On February 11, 1988, TRW's consultant submitted a final report documenting completion of the site remediation. A recent review of the January 1988 report entitled "Soil Removal and Disposal Project" confirms the results of the analyses in the report and shows that all contaminants tested were below the current Statewide Health Standards established by Pennsylvania's Land Recycling and Environmental Remediation Standards Act (Act 2).
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 25 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site is being reused.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410