World Resources Company
On This Page
The site is currently being operated by World Resources Company and was determined complete without controls. In the "Documents and Reports Section" on this webpage you will find the signed Final Decision. There was an information session on August 12, 2013 and which was followed by a public comment period. The final decision was signed on September 30, 2013.
In June 2013 member of the office of remediation visited the site and local officials. On August 12, 2013 at 7:00pm in the Norwegian township building, EPA will be conducting an information session for World Resources Company.
The World Resources Company (WRC) facility is approximately 9 acres of developed land and 27 acres of undeveloped land located in Pottsville, Pennsylvania which is among mixed commercial and undeveloped wooded property. The facility is situated on the northeast quadrant of the property and is bordered by Walnut Lane to the north.
The Facility has a containment building of approximately 28,000 square feet and houses the production/process areas and associated equipment that includes a wastewater treatment system. Located adjacent to the north side of the containment buildings is the on-site laboratory where analyses of waste material prior to arrival are performed. The administrative and office buildings are located adjacent to the northeast corner of the containment building and hold a reception area, administrative offices and conference rooms. The storage building is located on the east side of the parking area. The supply building is located adjacent to the southeast corner of the processing building and contains uniforms and general supplies. The majority of the remaining property is unused land that is forested or covered by grass.
The property was initially owned by the Greater Pottsville Industrial Development Corporation. In 1974 the property was developed by the Oliver Organization, which constructed a steel warehouse with adjoining offices. Argo operated a steel fabrication line at the site, and in 1980 ceased operation. WRC leased the property in 1982 and started operation in 1983. WRC is a recycler of metal bearing sludge’s that are generated primarily by metal finishing and electroplating industries. In 1988 WRC purchased the property. The facility has had several inspections with the most recent in 2012.
In 1988, a Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessment (ESA) was conducted at the facility. During this time five monitoring wells were installed at the facility at this time (four shallow wells and one deep well). Soil borings were also conducted at this time, and scrap metal was found on site. The scrap metal was removed from the site.
In 1998, a minimal amount of recyclable F006 (electroplating waste water treatment sludge) material (below reportable quantities) was tracked off the facilities lined receiving receptacle by the tires of a delivery transport vehicle. The F006 material was properly cleaned up. WRC installed a bermed tire wash station and paved the facility truck entrance driveway with asphalt to prevent releases from happening again.
In 2012, the facility conducted a limited Phase II Environmental Site Assessment (ESA), the undeveloped southeast portion of the facility, tax parcel number 20-06-0034-000 (27 acres). The Phase II ESA found that the property has not been impacted by the historic and current industrial use from WRC.
WRC does groundwater and soil monitoring roughly twice a year since 1990. No other known releases have occurred at the facility resulting in investigation or remedial actions.
- Some of the site's key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments [PDF, 1.541 MB, 40 pages About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 371 KB, 8 pages About PDF]
- Draft Hazardous Waste Operating Permit [PDF, 120 KB, 2 pages About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Inspection Report - August 2012 [PDF, 2365 KB, 49 pages About PDF] (Prepared by Michael J Baker Inc.)
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 1155 KB, 19 pages About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination -Groundwater Migration [PDF, 1331 KB, 17 pages About PDF]
- Environmental Site Assessment - Phase I - 1988 [PDF, 1179 KB, 32 pages About PDF]
- Environmental Site Assessment - Phase II - 1988 [PDF, 3959 KB, 110 pages About PDF]
- Well Water Monitoring Analytical Report - 1990-1991 [PDF, 2471 KB, 92 pages About PDF]
- Well Water Monitoring Analytical Report - 1990-2012 [PDF, 6881 KB, 104 pages About PDF]
- Groundwater Contamination Report - 2001 [PDF, 514 KB, 13 pages About PDF]
- Puragbles and Semivolitales Analysis Report - 2001 [PDF, 704 KB, 20 pages About PDF]
- Groundwater Analysis 2011 [PDF, 2662 KB, 64 pages About PDF]
- Pennsylvania DEP Hazardous Waste Permit - 2012[PDF, 1152 KB, 20 pages About PDF]
- Pennsylvania DEP Air Permit (54-00062)- 2011[PDF, 72 KB, 29 pages About PDF]
- Pennsylvania DEP Air Permit Description (54-00062)[PDF, 22 KB, 1 page About PDF]
- TSD Permit Renewal Application - Process Info [PDF, 2.52 MB, 44 pages About PDF]
- TSD Permit Renewal Application -Procedures to Prevent Hazards [PDF, 3.96 MB, 77 pages About PDF]
U.S. EPA Region III
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
World Resources Company
Click on Thumbnail to Enlarge Photo
For more information about EPA’s corrective action webpage, including Environmental Indicators, please visit our site at: www.epa.gov/reg3wcmd/correctiveaction.htm