Radford Army Ammunition Plant
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone : (410) 305-2779
Virginia Dept of Environmental Quality
Mr. Jim Cutler
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
A public notice has been posted with comment period ending July 27, 2014.
- Corrective Action at The Radford Army Ammunition Plant (RAAP) is being addressed under a Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Corrective Action Permit that was first issued by U.S. EPA in 1989. The permit was reissued October 31, 2000. The RAAP has been in the process of assessing the Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs), Areas of Concern, Site Screening Areas, and Miscellaneous Units, collectively called units, at the Site. Seventy-seven units were identified for investigation and potential remediation pursuant to the 2000 permit. Various investigations and actions have been completed and reports have been submitted to EPA and the Commonwealth of Virginia, since 1989. Since 1989 four additional SWMUs were added to the list of units to be investigated at RAAP.
- Seventy-six units have been investigated and 19 SWMUs were found to be contaminated and were addressed primarily through the excavation and removal of contaminated soil from the RAAP. The remaining units were found not to pose an unacceptable risk. In May 2011 EPA issued a Statement of Basis proposing Final Remedies for the 76 units. The Proposed Remedy(ies) for each unit were described generally as one or a combination of the following: 1) Soil Removal and Disposal; 2) Groundwater Monitoring; 3) Administrative Controls (such as land use restrictions) or Engineering Controls (such as inspection and maintenance at certain SWMUs) to protect the integrity of the remedy or 4) No Additional Investigation/Remediation. This leaves five SWMUs still included in the Corrective Action permit for investigation and if appropriate, remediation.
- In April 2012 EPA issued a Final Decision and Response to Comments on the May 2011 Statement of Basis - selecting the Final Remedy as proposed. Investigation of the remaining units is ongoing and is forecast for completion during 2013. EPA will modify the RCRA Corrective Action Permit to require implementation of the Final Remedy for all the units at RAAP.
- EPA anticipates proposing the Corrective Action Permit for renewal during the Fall/Winter of 2012 through 2013. As part of the process a "draft" permit will be issued for Public Comment. EPA will propose renewing the Corrective Action Permit to include any remaining investigation and remediation/clean up obligations in accordance with the Final Decision of April 2012. The permit renewal will have on-going obligations for any future environmental compliance and clean up.
- RAAP is a government-owned, contractor-operated military installation supplying solvent and solventless propellant and explosives to the Armed Forces. Construction of the current RAAP production facility began in 1940. RAAP initially consisted of a smokeless powder plant, referred to as [Radford Ordnance Works (ROW)].
- RAAP has been conducting investigations and/or clean-ups at 77 total areas identified in the Corrective Action Permits. Details of these investigations/cleanups can be found in the online Information repository at http://radfordaapirp.org/inforepo/online-index.htm.
- RAAP also conducts quarterly Restoration Advisory Board Meetings to keep the public informed of progress at the site
- The plant manufactures many types of explosives, ammunitions and rocket fuel, and containments associated with the manufacture of these products included heavy metals and solvents.
- No institutional controls are currently in place.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Radford Army Ammunition Plant Statement of Basis - June 2014[PDF, 5032 KB, 32 pages, About PDF]
- Final Decision and Response to Comments on the May 2011 Statement of Basis[PDF, 3630 KB, 126 pages, About PDF]
- Radford Army Ammunition Plant Corrective Action Statement of Basis -[PDF, 621 KB, 87 pages, About PDF]
- Radford Army Ammunition Plant Public Hearing on Statement of Basis - June 27,2011[PDF, 243 KB, 11 pages, About PDF]
- Radford Army Ammunition Plant Restoration Program Repository Index
- U.S. EPA - Public Availability Session for Radford Army Plant - May 2, 2011 Corrective Action Permit Renewal Process [PDF, 40 KB, 1 page, About PDF]
- Fact Sheet on the Statement of Basis - June 27, 2011- Public Meeting and Public Hearing[PDF, 64 KB, 2 pages, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposure [PDF, 56 KB, 8 pages, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 61 KB, 9 pages, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library
Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library
125 Sheltman Road
Christiansburg, VA 24073
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Radford Army Ammunition Plant||Radford Army Plant Aerial Photo|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Erich Weissbart (215) 814-34 13