U S Army Garrison Fort Belvoir
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street (3LC20)
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-5786
VA DEQ Project Manager
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
Ft. Belvoir was issued a RCRA Permit by VA issued in September 2004. The Permit requires Fort Belvoir to conduct a RCRA Facility Investigation for potential releases of hazardous waste or hazardous constituents at Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs) and other Areas of Concern (AOCs) identified at the facility. Over 200 SWMUs and AOCs have been identified at the facility. Since December 2007, approximately 43 workplans for investigations at several units including landfills and storage areas have been approved. Field activities have included test pits, soil and groundwater sampling and landfill gas investigation. Field work has been completed at most of these units. EPA reviews the results of the investigations and currently 21 sites are approved as no further actions required. Prior to Permitting, Ft. Belvoir closed many SWMUs under the VA Department of Environmental Quality oversight. EPA reviewed these closures and concurred with VA’s closures, therefore removing 130 SWMUs and other units from further investigation. SWMUs with unaddressed contamination or potential contamination have been identified and are being investigated.
The U.S Army Garrison at Fort Belvoir is located in the Commonwealth of Virginia, 14 miles south of Washington, D.C. The Main Post at Fort Belvoir is an 8,437-acre tract bordered by the Potomac river to the south and commercial and residential properties on all other sides. The main Post is divided into the North Post and South Post by US Route 1. The Main Post is currently a RCRA permitted facility. The RCRA permit for Hazardous Waste Storage and Corrective Action was last issued on September 23, 2004.
Fort Belvoir, Main Post is a U.S Department of Defense operated installation that provides essential administrative and basic operations to support and services to 90 tenants and satellite organizations.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 21 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF,8 pages, 23 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
Virginia DEQ Central Office
Mr. Brett A. Burdick
Department of Emergency Services
Commonwealth of Virginia
10501 Trade Court
Richmond, VA 23236-3713
Phone: (804) 897-6500 (X6502)
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|U S Army Garrison Fort Belvoir|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the VA DEQ Project Manager : Jutta Schneider (804)-698-4099 or EPA Project Manager: Barbara Smith (215) 814-5786.