Safety-Kleen Systems, Inc.
Vinton Service Center
On This Page
Virginia DEQ Project Manager
Ryan J. Kelly
Corrective Action Project Manager
Department of Environmental Quality
629 East Main Street
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: (804) 698-4045
Fax: (804) 698-4234
- A Confirmatory Sampling Plan (CSP) was conditionally approved by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) on June 10, 2010. Results of the CSP implementation were submitted to the DEQ and the EPA in a Confirmatory Sampling Report (CSR) by ECT dated September 29, 2010. The DEQ approved the results provided in the CSR in a letter to Safety-Kleen dated February 3, 2011.
- The DEQ reviewed all available Facility data and determined that there were no unaddressed releases of hazardous waste or hazardous constituents from the Facility. The decision represents "Corrective Action Complete without Controls". A Statement of Basis (SB) was public noticed on July 18, 2011, which proposed Corrective Action Complete without Controls. No comments were received and the final decision regarding the Facility was approved on September 29, 2011 as part of a Class 2 Permit Modification for incorporating the decision into the facility's Hazardous Waste Management Permit. The DEQ determined that its decision for the Facility is protective of human health and the environment and that no further corrective action or controls are necessary at this time.
- Since 1979, the Safety-Kleen facility has been providing solvent distribution, collection and reclamation services to companies primarily engaged in automobile repair, industrial maintenance, photo processing, manufacturing, and dry cleaning. The business activities conducted at the facility relate to the leasing and servicing of Safety-Kleen parts cleaning equipment, the collection and distribution of solvents, the collection of paint wastes, and the collection and management of industrial wastes. The solvents are distributed from and returned to the service center, where separate aboveground storage tanks are utilized for the storage of clean and used parts washer solvent, and waste oil. Additional space is designated for the storage of drums containing various waste streams including both clean and used immersion cleaner, dry cleaner wastes, photographic processing wastes, and paint wastes. The stored materials are periodically removed from the facility and transported to other facilities for reclamation or other method of disposal. No reclamation or disposal activities are performed at the Vinton facility.
- Based on available information there are no known contaminants of concerns or risk.
- No institutional controls currently exist for the site.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 8 pages, 48 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 12 pages, 284 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 10 pages, 296 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Safety Clean Vinton Service|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility continues to be used by Safety-Kleen for the purposes of solvent distribution, collection and reclamation services.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. Mike Jacobi (215) 814-3435.