Chemical Carrier Corp of Virginia
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr Leonard Hotham
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
Mail Stop: 3LC30
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Email: : firstname.lastname@example.org
DEQ Project Manager
Ms. Jutta Schneider, Corrective Action Coordinator
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: (804) 698-4099
On April 8, 2013, EPA issued a Statement of Basis (SB) [PDF, 1.27 MB, 15 pages, About PDF ]in which it described the information gathered during environmental investigations at the Facility and proposed a Final Remedy for the Facility.
Consistent with the public participation provisions under RCRA, EPA solicited public comment on its proposed Final Remedy. On April 23, 2013, notice of the Statement of Basis was published on the EPA Region 3 Public Notice Website
Since EPA did not receive any comments on the SB during the public comment period, EPA determined it was not necessary to modify the proposed Final Remedy set forth in the SB; thus, the remedy proposed in the SB is the Final Remedy selected by EPA for the Facility. The Final Decision and Response to Comments was signed on June 4, 2013.
EPA’s Final Remedy for the Facility consists of the following:
- Monitoring of groundwater; and
- Compliance with and maintenance of institutional controls.
- On July 13, 2009 the Chemical Carrier Corp of Virginia Corporation (ABC) entered into a Facility Lead Corrective Action Agreement (FLA) with Region 3 of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for its Roxbury, Virginia Maintenance Terminal Facility (EPA ID No. VAD000799379). EPA approved ABC's Site Characterization Work Plan (SCWP) to investigate the site in November 2010. The facility also submitted a Quality Assurance Project Plan (QAPP), Sampling and Analysis Plan (SAP), Site Health and Safety Plan (HASP) and Community Relations Plan (CRP). The purpose of the site characterization is to determine the nature and extent of potential impacts to environmental media beneath the site including soil and groundwater. ABC began its site characterization under the agreement in January 2011. Follow-up investigations were conducted in August/September of 2011. The Corrective Measures Study (CMS) was submitted to EPA for review on October 23, 2012. The CMS was approved by EPA on February 12, 2013.
- The ABC Roxbury Maintenance Terminal is located at 1901 Roxbury Road in Charles City County, Virginia. The 18-acre facility was developed in the late 1971 to provide storage, fueling and maintenance support to ABC's bulk hauling business. Three on-site buildings are currently used to carry out routine maintenance on trucks and trailers, which are stored on the property between jobs. Diesel fuel is dispensed to company vehicles from an above-ground storage tank located on the grounds.
- ABC submitted a Community Action Plan to the US EPA in November 2010. The initiation of site investigation activities was announced to the community via a public notice published in the Richmond Times-Dispatch newspaper December 3-9, 2010. An information repository has been established at ABC's Administrative Offices located at 1804 Barnetts Road. Please contact Mr. Warren Groseclose at (804) 966-5459 (E-mail: email@example.com) to schedule an appointment to review information or obtain a fact sheet.
- To date, the site characterization investigations have detected organic chemicals commonly associated with degreasers and solvents. Contaminants of concern include trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethylene, 1,1-dichloroethane, trans-1,2-dichloroethylene, cis-1,2-dichloroethylene and vinyl chloride, which were detected along with related compounds in groundwater samples collected from monitoring wells installed on the site. The contaminants of concern exceed risk-based screening levels published by the US EPA Region 3. However, there is no indication that site workers or other human populations are being exposed to these compounds nor is there any imminent health threat from these chemicals. Repeat tests of drinking water produced from the on-site water well have not detected any of these or other chemicals.
- No institutional controls are currently implemented on the site. Government Contacts
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments [PDF, 1.627 MB, 18 pages, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 1.27 MB, 15 pages, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Interim Report - October 2011[PDF, 512 KB, 5 pages, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 56 KB, 8 pages, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 95 KB, 10 pages, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Chemical Carrier Corp of Virginia||Chemical Carrier Corp GeoPdf Site Map|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or site map)
The site is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr Leonard Hotham (215) 814-5778.