Bingham & Taylor
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Luis Pizarro
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
Ms. Leslie Romanchik
P.O. Box 10009
Richmond, VA 23240
Phone: (804) 698-4129
- This facility is one of EPA Region III's high priority RCRA corrective action sites. EPA and EPA's contractor conducted an Environmental Indicator (EI) inspection at this facility in September 1998, and determined that additional information needs to be gathered in order to determine if the EIs have been met. Bingham & Taylor entered into a Facility Lead Agreement with EPA on October 22, 1999 for conducting corrective action at their Culpeper Facility. The Facility submitted a Facility Lead Assessment Work Plan to EPA, which EPA approved, for the investigation, and possible remediation, of the groundwater and soils at the site. Bingham & Taylor was responsible for conducting on-site sampling for possible contamination of surface soils, subsurface soils, groundwater and stream sediments. EPA was responsible for off-site surface soil sampling.
- In October 2002, Bingham & Taylor completed the on-site field activities. Slightly elevated lead concentrations were found in some surface soil samples taken in the western portion of the facility. The facility has implemented corrective measures at these locations by installing an impervious cap over these areas thereby eliminating the potential for the migration of lead in the surface soils. The concentration of contaminates in the subsurface soils, groundwater, and stream sediments were all below EPA's guidelines to protect human health and the environment.
- In November 2002, EPA completed the off-site field activities. The sampling included the surface soil sampling of seven commercial properties located in close proximity to the Bingham & Taylor facility. Of the 102 composite surface soil samples collected, none exceeded the health-based limits for cadmium. Two composites exceeded the health-based limits for lead but they were not caused by activities associated with the Bingham & Taylor facility. The high levels were due to the makeup of the soils including backfilled debris, construction materials and rubble.
- In September 2003, EPA Region III determined that the Environmental Indicator (EI) for Human Health was met and the Groundwater EI was met in January 2004.
- On April 20, 2004, EPA held an informal meeting with the public, as well local politicians, to recommend that no further RCRA Corrective Action was necessary at the Bingham & Taylor facility. On October 27, 2004 a notice appeared in the Culpeper Star-Exponent soliciting comments from the public on EPA's recommendation. No comments were received during the 45-day public comment period. On December 22, 2004, EPA issued its Final Decision stating that the final remedy at the Bingham & Taylor facility consisted of a bituminous asphalt cap with institutional controls. This final remedy meets the Corrective Action objectives and is protective of human health and the environment and RCRA Corrective Action is now complete with controls at the Bingham & Taylor facility.
- The Bingham and Taylor Foundry is located in Culpeper, Virginia and consists of two large buildings housing offices and operations, several other outbuildings for storage and a loading dock. The foundry produces cast iron products from recycled scrap iron. Scrap iron is delivered by truck, melted in the cupola, and the molten iron is transferred by ladles to various molds to produce cast products. The castings are then immersed into a dip tank for finishing with an asphalt coating
- A Community Relations Plan was prepared and submitted to EPA on February 25, 2000.
- Based on available information there are no known imminent threats to human health or the environment from the Bingham & Taylor Facility. The main contaminants of concern were lead and cadmium.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 6 pages, 180 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 115 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 91 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Bingham & Taylor|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Luis Pizarro (215) 814-3444.