Exelis Inc. - Night Vision & Imaging
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Luis Pizarro
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
- On July 10, 2009, EPA issued the Final decision and Response to Comments for the ITT Night Vision Facility. The remedy selected, included soil vapor extraction with institutional controls for soils. For groundwater, the remedy included a combination of in situ enhanced cometabolic bioremediation, institutional controls, and monitored natural attenuation (MNA). Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are the primary contaminants of concern. Those found include: acetone, isopropanol, trichloroethylene (TCE) and its breakdown products, and 1, 1, 1 trichloroethane (TCA), and its breakdown products
- ITT Night Vision, a division of ITT Industries Inc., is an active manufacturing complex. Operations have been ongoing since 1958. Currently ITT Night Vision employs approximately 1400 employees. The facility consists of three major buildings and associated infrastructure located on two parcels of land in Roanoke, Virginia. EPA issued the facility two EPA identification numbers because the parcels are not contiguous. This parcel of the facility covers about 17 acres, and contains ITT Building Number 1 and Number 2.
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are the primary contaminants of concern. Those found include: acetone, isopropanol, trichloroethylene (TCE) and its breakdown products, and 1, 1, 1 trichloroethane (TCA), and its breakdown products.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Long-Term Stewardship Assessment Report - June 2015 [PDF, 3 pages, 292 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 35 pages, 2392 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF,8 pages, 25 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Excelis Inc Night Vision & Imaging||Excelis Inc Night Vision GeoSpatial PDF [PDF, 1608 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map )
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Luis A. Pizarro (215) 814-3444.