Koppers Industries, Inc.
(Beazer East, Inc.)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3435
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
Mr. Brett Fisher
629 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 698-4219
• In October 2013, the facility submitted a Corrective Measures Study (CMS) to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). In April 2012, the facility completed a site-wide groundwater sampling event in support of verifying the appropriateness of the corrective action objects and completing the CMS. In August 2012, the DEQ provided approval to move forward with the CMS as planned based on the groundwater results obtained in April. Institutional controls are anticipated for the property upon selecting a final remedy.
- The facility occupies 85 acres and is located approximately 2.0 miles west of the City of Salem in Roanoke County. It has been operational since 1955 producing treated wood products using creosote including railroad cross ties, bridge timbers, and crossing panels.
- The facility is located on the north bank of the Roanoke River and the Norfolk and Southern Railroad line runs in a northeast to southwest direction along the northern edge of the property. East of the facility, the Kroger Company owns and operates a warehouse and distribution center.
- The facility maintains a Hazardous Waste Management Permit (renewed in 2007) for Site-Wide Corrective Action for on-going post-closure activities at the facility’s former close surface impoundments and its site-wide corrective action investigation and clean-up activities.
- On September 29, 2003, DEQ completed an evaluation of available information and issued a “YES” determination for the “Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control” Environmental Indicator (EI) under the Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA).
- On September 30, 2004, DEQ completed an evaluation of available information and issued a “YES” determination for the “Current Human Exposures Under Control” EI under the GPRA.
- In 2010 the facility completed necessary RFI Investigation activities and in October 2011 the facility completed a risk assessment, which indicated that no unacceptable risk to human health or the environment was identified under current and future industrial land use.
- In March 2012, the facility submitted a Corrective Measures Study Work Plan. Subsequently, the facility completed a site-wide groundwater monitoring event in support of the proposed corrective action objectives and completing a Corrective Measure Study. In August 2012, the facility began performing a Corrective Measures Study.
- In October 2013, the facility submitted their Corrective Measures Study to the DEQ.
- The primary contaminants in the groundwater and soils at the facility are polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). The facility continues to conduct site-wide groundwater monitoring.
- The facility’s risk assessment indicated that no unacceptable risk to human health and the environment was identified under current use and future industrial land use conditions since groundwater beneath the facility is not used as a drinking water source.
- Anticipated institutional controls at the facility include, at a minimum, a residential land use restriction limiting the property's use to industrial and a groundwater use restriction limiting the use of groundwater beneath the property to purposes necessary for clean-up activities
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 12 pages, 401 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 28 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Koopers Industries- Beazer East||Koopers Industries Site Map
[PDF, 331 KB, 1 pages, About PDF]
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- This facility is under continued use.
- The DEQ and EPA are dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact DEQ Project Manager Mr. Brett Fisher at (804) 698-4219 or Mike Jacobi at (215) 814-3435.