On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Luis A. Pizarro
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
- A Final decision was signed by EPA on April 4, 2005 for the former Ericsson site. The Final Decision was "Corrective Action Complete with no controls.".
- The Liberty University Annex is located at 100 Mountain View Road Lynchburg, Virginia. The facility is owned by Thomas Road Baptist Church, Inc. and occupied by Liberty University for storage and school functions. The property itself encompasses 117 acres of land, approximately 20 of which are under the roof of the main structure. Surrounding properties are comprised of educational (Liberty University) and commercial facilities.
- In November of 1980 General Electric (purchased by Ericsson, Inc) applied for a Part B RCRA permit. In the course of developing the Part B application, amendments to RCRA mandated that information be provided regarding past and present Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs). In response to these corrective action amendments General Electric identified two (2) such units that had previously been used at the Mountain View Road facility. The first of these units is referred to as the Chemical Burial Area. In 1986, General Electric identified the former burial area and later that year removed the contaminated soil. In a letter dated September 20,1991, U.S. EPA approved of the removal action and the on-site confirmatory sampling , and further stated that no further action was needed. The second area is referred to as the Radio Scrap Burial Area, which was investigated by Ericsson in 2002. Excavations were made in the suspected area, and buried radio scrap material was located. This scrap consisted mainly of printed circuit boards, nickel/cadmium battery packs and metal chassis. In 2003, approximately 45 cubic feet of radio scrap material was removed. Confirmatory soil sampling and groundwater sampling was conducted in 2004.
- Primary concern was buried radio scrap material consisting of mainly of printed circuit boards, nickel/cadmium battery packs and metal chassis.
- No institutional controls were required.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 43 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF,8 pages, 137 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Luis A. Pizarro (215) 814-3444.