Celanese Acetate LLC
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Diane Schott
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-3430
Phone: (215) 814-3430
Virginia DEQ RCRA Program Manager
Mr. Ryan J. Kelly
Office of Hazardous Waste
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: (804) 698-4045
- Cleanup Status:
Corrective Action Underway
- Human Exposure Controlled: TBA
- Groundwater Controlled :
- The Facility is conducting an investigation of soil, groundwater, surface water and sediment to assess the status of contamination at the site. The status of the environmental indicators for human exposures under control and contaminant migration in groundwater will be confirmed during the investigation. The need for corrective measures will be assessed after investigations are completed. Institutional controls to prevent exposure to wastes are anticipated. An accelerated investigation was completed in December 2012 for three historic waste disposal areas to support a boiler reconfiguration project. EPA is reviewing this information to determine an appropriate remedy selection.
- The Celco Plant is located east of Narrows, Virginia along U.S. Route 460. The plant is divided into two major areas separated by Route 460. The plant area is located adjacent to the New River, and the landfill area is located on the hillside north of the plant area. The site is characterized by a narrow, flat valley floor surrounded by relatively steep mountainous hillsides and ridge tops.
- The Celco Plant has been in operation since late 1939 and manufactures fiber-based products. Raw materials in the formulation of cellulose acetate are cellulose (wood pulp), acetic anhydride, acetic acid, sulfuric acid, and magnesium oxide. The facility utilizes an on-site power plant that burns bituminous coal to produce steam and electricity at the site. Wastes are managed in onsite landfills, wastewater treatment operations, surface impoundments, regeneration/recycling, and offsite treatment and disposal. Celanese has completed many activities to prevent releases and exposures including waste removals, soil cap placements, and groundwater and surface water monitoring. In 2007, Celco implemented remedies for a landfill cell containing process sludge and a groundwater discharge from the landfill containing ammonia.
- Institutional controls, if required, will be determined at the time of remedy selection.
- The primary contaminants of concern include ammonia, metals, PCBs, organic solvents, and polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbon compounds.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Celenese Acetate Description of Current Conditions 2006 Report[PDF, 110 pages, 6075 KB, About PDF]
- Celanese Acetate Corrective Action Workplan August 2011[PDF, 801 pages, 22.03 MB, About PDF]
- Plant Historic Waste Disposal Areas 4, 5 and 6 - December 2012 [FTP Site - PDF, 790 pages, 48.1 MB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Celanese Acetate LLC|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Ms. Diane Schott (215) 814-3430