Babcock & Wilcox Nuclear Operations Group
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Michael Jacobi
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Virginia Dept of Environmental Quality
629 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
A public notice has been posted with comment period ending December 17, 2014.
B&W is in the process of performing indoor air sampling in buildings currently over the "A" plume, in accordance with an EPA approved workplan. Results will confirm a modeling study that showed no impacts from the groundwater plume to workers inside those buildings over the plume. The results from the indoor air sampling will help address what controls maybe needed in the Corrective Measures Study (CMS), which should be submitted in 2nd quarter of 2014.
The Babcock &Wilcox Nuclear Operations Group (Mt. Athos site) is located near Lynchburg, Virginia on a 560-acre site adjacent to the James River in the northeast corner of Campbell County.
The complete list of contaminants of concern identified in the RFI include TCE, PCE, bromoform, chloroform, methylene chloride, cis-1,2-dichloroethylene, trans-1, 2-dichloroethylene, trichlorofluoromethane, and vinyl chloride. No immediate threats to human health or the environment have been identified.
- No institutional controls are currently in place.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [ 30 pp, 2.13 MB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [ 10 pp, 37 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [10pp, 168 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: (804) 698-4099
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Babcock Wilcox Nuclear Ops|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Michael Jacobi (215) 814-3435