Giant Resource Recovery, Inc.
(FORMERLY SOLITE CORPORATION
VIRGINIA SOLITE DIVISION AND VIRGINIA SOLITE – CASCADE)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
DEQ Project Manager
Ryan J. Kelly
Corrective Action Project Manager
Department of Environmental Quality
629 East Main Street
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: (804) 698-4045
- The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) completed a review of the available environmental information for the Giant Resource Recovery, Inc. (GRR) site in Cascade. The DEQ determined the Human Health Environmental Indicator (EI) was met as of September 14, 2010. The DEQ also determined that additional investigation of soil and groundwater was required. The Phase II RFI activities were completed by GRR in December 2010 and January 2011. A preliminary report was provided to the DEQ in April 2011 and is currently under review. The DEQ will review the Phase II report and will focus on the health and groundwater impacts presented by the facility. Once DEQ completes this review process, a Groundwater EI determination will be prepared and posted to the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) website by September 2012.
- The Giant Resource Recovery, Inc., facility in Cascade, Virginia (formerly Solite Corporation - Virginia Solite Division facility), is a 462-acre site. Since the 1970s the Cascade facility burned hazardous waste derived fuel in large rotary kilns to produce lightweight aggregate for the construction industry.
- Effective January 10, 2006, the Solite Corporation – Virginia Solite Division, Cascade facility and Permit, under EPA ID No. VAD046970521, was modified to incorporate the land, the facilities, and the closure and corrective action responsibilities, as applicable, of the GRR, Cascade facility and Permit under EPA ID No. VAD077942266. Therefore, this above transfer of ownership and control of the GRR facility will enable the CA for the above two contiguous Solite Holding, Inc. Cascade facilities to take place under EPA ID No. VAD046970521.
- IInorganics at elevated concentrations in surface and subsurface soils were identified as being the primary contaminants of concern..
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [6 pp, 63 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: (804) 698-4099
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Giant Resource Recovery, Inc.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The Cascade facility has ceased industrial operations, has undergone RCRA "clean-closure" and final closure. The facility is currently vacant.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mike Jacobi (215) 814-3435.