International Paper - Richmond Gravure
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Estena McGhee
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3433
This facility is one of EPA Region III’s high priority RCRA corrective action sites and EPA has determined that both the Human Exposure and Groundwater Environmental Indicators have been met.
In 1994, Richmond Gravure investigated the site under a voluntary agreement with EPA Region III. The facility characterized the hydrogeology of the groundwater and determined the sources and extent of the contamination. It was determined that Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) were present at the site. The facility then conducted the necessary corrective actions by installing an asphalt cover over the former landfill, and also implemented a 5-year groundwater monitoring program to determine if the groundwater contamination was migrating. Based on the results of the 5-year monitoring program, submitted to EPA on June 3, 2000, it was determined that the VOCs and PCBs present in the landfill were not migrating.
EPA issued a letter to International Paper on October 22, 2002 indicating that EPA will require annual monitoring, to continue to document that the contaminated groundwater is not migrating, and will require an annual inspection of the cap to document its integrity. EPA conducted a site visit on June 10, 2009 to further characterize the facility. EPA has evaluated the groundwater data from the five year monitoring and a final remedy decision document was issued on December 7, 2010. EPA selected monitoring and maintenance of the asphalt cap and implementation of, compliance with and continued maintenance of institutional controls as the final remedy for the Facility. This remedy is being implemented through an Environmental Covenant which was signed by EPA on September 26, 2011.
- International Paper's Richmond Gravure facility has been decommissioned in preparation for sale. The James River and its floodplain border the site on the east. Industrial properties are to the north, south, and west.
- The facility was used as a warehouse in the late 1960s. In 1969, printing operations began onsite. Folding cartons were printed at the facility until early 2000. The property is divided into a 16-acre north parcel and a 36-acre south parcel. International Paper has owned the north parcel since 1979 and the south parcel since 1988. Landfilling at the site began in the early 1970s on a portion of the site to the east and south of the plant building. Landfilling at the site ceased in 1979.
- Areas of concern are the volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) were present at the site.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 25 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site is currently unused.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager:Ms. Estena McGhee (215) 814-3433.