MW Manufacturers, Inc
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Estena McGhee
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3433
Virginia DEQ Project Manager
Brett Fisher, P.G.
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 10009
Richmond, VA 23240-0009
Phone: (804) 698-4219
- Cleanup Status:
Corrective Action Underway
- Human Exposure Controlled :
To Be Determined
- Groundwater Controlled : To Be Determined
In March 2008, a Final RCRA Site Visit Report, prepared by Tetra Tech EC, Inc., was submitted to EPA and VDEQ. The report summarizes the results of a previously conducted site visit and includes meeting minutes, description of indentified AOCs and SWMUs, description of potential exposure pathways, and potential follow-up action items. A 3008(h) Consent Order was issued on August 8, 2011and became effective on September 12, 2011.
On October 20, 2011 EPA and VADEQ personnel visited MW Manufacturing to become familiar with the facility. MW Manufacturing submitted the Current Conditions Report on November 14, 2011 and the RFI Workplan was submitted on December 8, 2011. EPA provided comments on these reports on May 18, 2012. On July 2, 2012 a revised workplan was submitted and EPA approved this workplan on December 5, 2012.
MW Manufacturing is currently conducting the RFI invstigation.
- In 1994, a 3,000 gallon underground storage tank (UST) was discovered containing approximately 2,700 gallons of liquid waste. This tank was identified as part of a former emergency system that enabled product from a wood dip tank within the facility to be transferred to the UST in the event of a fire. The use of this system and UST was discontinued in 1984 and the use of pentachlorophenol (PCP) in the wood treating process was discontinued in 1985. Analysis verified that the waste within the UST contained PCP. In addition, a 10,000 gallon UST containing wood preservative was removed from the southwest corner of the property.
- In 1995, MW Manfacturers requested a change of status from “Conditionally Exempt” to “Small Quantity Generator”.
- In 1997, the use of a 4,000 gallon UST was discontinued. The UST occasionally stored wood preservative solution during maintenance activities associated with a dip tank. In December 1998, MW Manufacturers closed the UST in place and conducted an impact assessment of the surrounding soils. The assessment indicated soil contamination that included the presence of PCP, which the UST reportedly did not contain during its use. Another source of contamination was suspected due to the presence of PCP in soil.
- On June 1, 1999, MW Manufacturers agreed to a Consent Order issued by the VDEQ associated with management and closure of the 3,000 gallon UST discovered in 1994. The Consent Order required the facility to develop a Closure Plan.
- On April 5, 2000, VDEQ approved the Closure Plan for the 3,000 gallon UST under the Consent Order. On September 25, 2002, VDEQ approved “clean closure” certification in accordance with the Closure Plan.
- In January 2007, the facility discontinued use and decommissioned a dip tank that contained approximately 2,500 gallons of wood preservative. The dip tank was a pit constructed of concrete with a 0.25-inch steel liner. The facility performed basic investigations following decommission activities. These investigations indicated soil contamination.
MW Manufacturers manufactures window and door products for the residential construction industry. Specifically they manufacture vinyl, wood, and wood clad windows with PVC components as well as vinyl and wood doors. The facility consists of 38.7 acres occupied by a 578,000 square foot building used for manufacturing, offices, and warehouse space. MW Manufacturers employs approximately 1,400 people and operates 24 hours per day, 5 days per week.
The facility leases a small portion of the property to Old Dominion Truck Leasing, which operates a truck maintenance facility. Old Dominion leases trucks to MW Manufacturers for product shipment and maintains them at the facility.
The following provides a brief history of activities and investigations conducted for the facility:
Some of areas of concern are PCP in the soil.
- Human Exposures Controlled Determination: The VDEQ has made the EI determination of “IN, more information is needed to make determination." This determination is based upon the DEQ's Current Human Health Environmental Indicator (HHEI) Determination Report, dated September 16, 2009. This HHEI determination is considered current, effective December 29, 2009.
- Release to Groundwater Controlled Determination: The VDEQ has made the EI determination of "IN, more information is needed to make determination" based upon the review of information available to date for the site, which is contained in the EI determination Report, dated September 16, 2009. This GWEI determination is considered current, effective December 29, 2009.
Under the Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA), EPA evaluates two key Environmental Indicators (EIs) for each facility: "Current Human Exposures Under Control" and "Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control". Virginia's current evaluation of Environmental Indicators for this facility is the following:
A copy of all documents relating to the RCRA CA program at this facility are available for viewing at VDEQ's Central Office located at 629 East Main Street in Richmond, Virginia. Citizens' questions and concerns may be directed to the contacts below.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action FactSheet [PDF, 2 pages, 18 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
Virginia DEQ Central Office
Brett Fisher, P.G.
629 East Main Street
Phone: (804) 698-4219
Call for an appointment.
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|MW Manufacturers, Inc|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Ms. Estena McGhee (215) 814-3433.