Rubbermaid Commercial Products, LLC
(Formerly : GE Winchester Lamp Plant )
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Luis Pizarro
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
- EPA has determined that no further action under the federal RCRA Corrective Action program is required at this time. A 45 day public comment period on the proposed decision extended from June 10 to July 26, 1999. No comments were received during that time. Therefore, EPA has issued a final Agency Determination that clean-up is complete at GE's Winchester Lamp Plant.
- Only one area, a concrete pad used for storing drums of hazardous waste, was identified as potentially having a release at this facility. During a hazardous waste inspection, several overfilled drums were observed to be leaking waste material, but the waste was confined to the tops of the drums. In 1989, GE cleaned the concrete pad of any contamination. Soil sampling results in the area showed no detectable levels of contamination and Virginia's Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ) provided approval of the "clean closure" certification for the unit on November 4, 1998. "Clean closure" is a term that is used to define the process of completely removing all waste that was treated, stored, or disposed in a hazardous waste unit.
- One other area of concern was the site of two former underground fuel tanks. These tanks were removed and GE sampled the soil and groundwater in the area to determine if there had been a release. No contamination was found and the site was deemed "cleaned closed" by VDEQ Underground Storage Tank Program. There were no documented releases associated with this area.
- There is no further corrective action required at the GE Winchester Lamp Plant at this time.
- The GE Winchester Lamp Plant is located about 3 miles south of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia and the site is situated on a 125 acre parcel of land. The facility began operation in 1975 and is currently producing household incandescent light bulbs under its own name and private brand names. The major components of the light bulb are produced at other facilities and shipped to Winchester Lamp Plant for assembly.
- A public notice was issued regarding the public comment period which ended on July 26, 1999.
- There are no documented releases at this facility.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Commonwealth of Virginia Deed Restriction (Environmental Covenant) [PDF, 135 pages, 4.323 MB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 8 pages, 35 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF,8 pages, 37 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|GE Winchester Lamp|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Luis A. Pizarro (215) 814-3444.