Former Rehrig International Facility
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Luis Pizarro
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-3433
Phone: (215) 814-3444
- The Former Rehrig International Facility (Facility) was constructed in 1904, and was operated by Rehrig International from 1979 until 2000. Facility operations included manufacturing of shopping carts and baskets. The manufacturing process consisted of metal fabrication, injection molding and metal plating. Ancillary equipment used by Rehrig included a wastewater treatment system, diesel fuel Underground Storage Tank (UST), a waste oil Aboveground Storage Tank (AST), and a hydraulic oil AST.
- Rehrig's manufacturing activities ceased in 2000, and the facility was sold in 2002. The Facility has been demolished and a Kroger's grocery store and small retail shops have been constructed in its place.
- A Final RCRA Site Visit Report was issued on March 26, 2007 for the Facility. A Statement of Basis (SOB) was noticed in The Voice on March 25, 2009. The EPA issued its Final Decision regarding the Facility on May 5, 2009 stating that Corrective Action was Complete without Controls.
- The Former Rehrig International Facility is located at 901 North Lombardy Street, in Richmond, Virginia in an urban commercial, industrial, and residential area. The closest residence is approximately 500 feet from the Facility. The closest surface water body is the James River, 1.6 miles south of the Facility.
- The Facility at one time operated under interim permit status for container and tank storage. Additionally, the Facility was a large quantity generator of hazardous waste.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 8 pages, 55 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 9 pages, 191 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 7 pages, 38 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Former Rehrig Site|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site is being reused. The Facility has been demolished and a Kroger's grocery store and small retail shops have been constructed in its place.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Luis Pizarro (215) 814-3444.