GE Intelligent Platforms
(Formerly GE Fanuc Automation)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr Leonard Hotham
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-5778
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
- Lead Agreement (FLA) program. The FLA was developed by EPA to address RCRA corrective action facilities and encourage such facilities to take the lead in addressing corrective action using a generic, non-enforceable, agreement which includes the same requirements, and relies on the same scope of work and policy as a permit or an order. EPA and EPA's contractors conducted a Facility information gathering site visit on September 12, 2007. In January 2010, under EPA direction, the Facility conducted an investigation to assess groundwater quality in the vicinity of the former Wastewater Treatment (IWT) Tank #1, which has been identified as Solid Waste Management Unit (SWMU) No. 7, and the former wastewater drain field at SWMU No. 18. No contamination was found.
- On July 15, 2010, EPA proposed a determination of "Corrective Action Complete without Controls" based on EPA's findings which are detailed in the Statement of Basis. Consistent with public participation provisions under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), EPA requested comments from the public on the proposed remedy as described in the Statement of Basis. The commencement of a thirty (30) day public comment period was announced in the Daily Progress newspaper on July 15, 2010 and on the EPA Region III website. The public comment period ended on August 13, 2010. EPA received no comments on the proposal. Consequently, the Final Decision – Corrective Action Complete without Controls was issued by EPA on August 23, 2010.
- GE Intelligent Platforms (formerly GE Fanuc Automation) is headquartered in Charlottesville, Virginia and is an industrial control manufacturer. The plant consists of three units: Embedded Systems, Software and Services and Control Systems. The Facility is located on 74-acres and manufactures printed circuit boards and uses a number of chemicals that become listed hazardous wastes in the waste stream. Twenty-four (24) SWMUs and two (2) Areas of Concern (AOC) have been identified at the Facility. EPA has determined that all of the SWMUs and AOC have been removed and/or closed (under VA Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) oversight) and pose no environmental concerns to human health or the environment.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 8 pages, 26 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 10 pages, 139 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 11 pages, 76 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|GE Intelligent Platforms|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the VA DEQ Project Manager : Jutta Schneider (804)-698-4099 or EPA Project Manager: Mr Leonard Hotham (215) 814-5778.