Axalta Coating Systems, LLC.
Formerly: Dupont Performance Coatings Inc.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Luis A. Pizarro 3LC30
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
- On September 7, 2006, a Corrective Action (CA) site visit was performed by the EPA, the DEQ, the EPA contracted consultant, and representatives of DuPont to assess and evaluate the facility regarding the potential need for CA.
- On March 12, 2007, a Final RCRA CA Site Visit Report, dated March 2007, was submitted to the EPA and DEQ, by Tetra Tech EC Inc.
- On September 15, 2009 the Human Health and Groundwater Environmental Indicators were given a "yes" determination by the DEQ.
- A Statement of Basis (SB) was noticed on July 15, 2010, which proposed that no further actions to remediate soil or groundwater were necessary to protect human health and the environment. The EPA issued its Final Decision regarding the Facility on August 19, 2010 stating that Corrective Action was Complete without Controls.
- The DuPont Front Royal facility is located at 7961 Winchester Road, Front Royal, Warren County, Virginia. The site is located in a rural agricultural/residential and light commercial area. DuPont Front Royal is a relatively new facility as construction was completed in 1981. Prior to construction the property had been utilized for agricultural purposes. The facility currently employs approximately 400 individuals and operates a 24 hour per day 7 day per week batch process to manufacture solvent and water based industrial finishes, maintenance and automotive finishes, and resin polymer finishes. These products are manufactured, packaged and warehoused onsite prior to shipment. The facility layout includes an office area, two story manufacturing area, and a packaging/warehouse location
- In 1996, the RCRA Part B Permit the facility had maintained was not renewed as a result of "clean closure" of the previously permitted HWMUs. All previously permitted HWMUs, which have been "clean closed" are currently operated as less than 90-day hazardous waste accumulation areas in accordance with the RCRA Regulations under 40 CFR § 262.34 – Accumulation time.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision[1p, 22 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [6pp, 48 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [12pp, 830 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [12pp, 461 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Axalta Coating Systems, LLC.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. Luis A. Pizarro : (215) 814-3444.