On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
DEQ Project Manager
Brett Fisher, P.G.
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
629 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 698-4219
- On October 8, 2013, Hand Craft Cleaners (Hand Craft) achieved construction completion of its final remedy for its site located in Midlothian, VA. A 30 day public comment period occurred from September 4, 2013 to October 4, 2013 soliciting comments on a Statement of Basis describing Hand Craft’s final remedy for the site and a Consent Order for implementation of the final remedy. No comments were received by the Department.
- The final remedy described in the Statement of Basis consists of enhanced reductive dechlorination via a closed-loop groundwater recirculation system to treat tetrachloroethylene (PCE) and associated degradation compounds in groundwater. DEQ approved a work plan in December 2012 for system installation. Construction of the system and startup occurred on July 10, 2013. Hand Craft continues to conduct routine groundwater monitoring.
- The Hand Craft Cleaners property occupies approximately 1 acre located in Midlothian, Virginia and operated as a dry cleaner from 1987 to 1996.
- In 1998, it was determined that chlorinated compounds were released to a former in-ground grease trap tank, subsequently known as the excavation trench during closure activities. Hand Craft agreed to complete closure activities in accordance with VHWMR and RCRA under a Consent Order issued by the DEQ in 1999. Subsequently, “clean closure” was issued in 2002 for unsaturated soils following excavation activities and closure verification.
- In 2004, Hand Craft began a groundwater IM via permanganate injections for in situ chemical oxidation of the chlorinated compounds and routine groundwater monitoring. Hand Craft continued to conduct routine groundwater monitoring to evaluate concentration rebound.
- On September 8, 2008, DEQ completed an evaluation of available information and issued a “YES” determination for the “Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control” Environmental Indicator (EI) in accordance with the Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA).
- On July 30, 2009, DEQ completed an evaluation of available information and issued a “YES” determination for the “Current Human Exposures Under Control” EI in accordance with the GPRA.
- Based on groundwater monitoring data and observed concentration rebound of PCE, DEQ approved a work plan submitted by Hand Craft in December 2012 to install a closed-loop groundwater recirculation system for enhanced reductive dechlorination of PCE.
- In July 2013, system construction was complete and system startup occurred. Prior to startup, baseline groundwater monitoring occurred.
- In October 2013, a Consent Order for implementation of the final remedy as described in the Statement of Basis was finalized. Hand Craft will continue to operate the system and conduct groundwater monitoring under clean closure cleanup standards for groundwater are met.
- The primary contaminants of concern (COC) that have impacted groundwater include PCE and associated degradation compounds.
- Because Hand Craft achieved “clean closure” for unsaturated soil associated with the former excavation trench and waste pile in 2002, there is no longer a risk associated with soil on-site.
- No impacts to air, surface water, or sediments have been identified during the environmental investigations.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments [14 pp, 1.56 MB, About PDF]
- RCRA Corrective Action Amended Order by Consent [7 pp, 523 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [10 pp, 470 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [15 pp, 493 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: (804) 698-4099
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Handcraft Cleaners||Handcraft Cleaners Geospatial PDF Map|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or geospatial pdf )
This property is a reuse property.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact DEQ Project Manager Brett Fisher at (804) 698-4219 or EPA Project Manager Mike Jacobi (215) 814-3435.