Arlington County Equipment Division
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Luis A. Pizarro
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
Mr. Brett Fisher
629 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 698-4219
- The Arlington County Equipment Division – Trades Center (Trades Center) completed field activities in support of environmental investigations in 2011. A Phase I Site Assessment Report was submitted to the DEQ on January 9, 2012. Based on the information provided in the Report, Environmental Indicator (EI) determinations were made by the DEQ and were posted to the EPA Region 3 Corrective Action web page. In July 2012, the Trades Center submitted a revised Report that included additional data screening tables.
- Current use and anticipated future use of the property is industrial. Based on this and the information in the Report the DEQ anticipates that in 2013 the Trades Center will submit comprehensive planning information from Arlington County to support future industrial use of the property. They will also submit a revised Report that includes a final discussion on the current conditions at the property and a final remedy proposal.
- The Trades Center is a 42-acre continued use facility owned and operated by Arlington County located at the intersection of South Arlington Mill Drive and South Taylor Street in Arlington, Virginia.
- The Trades Center is comprised of municipal office buildings and facilities used for various county functions, which include automotive vehicle repair, vehicle storage, carpentry, chemical storage, parts and equipment storage, vehicle washing, vehicle refueling, fire training, equipment repair, and earth products handling and recycling.
- The Trades Center entered into a Facility Lead Agreement with the EPA in August 2010 and began environmental investigations in 2011 in accordance with a site-wide Investigation Work Plan and a Sampling and Analysis Plan approved by the DEQ in April 2011 and June 2011, respectively. The initial Phase I Site Assessment Report was submitted to DEQ in January 2012.
- On March 30, 2012, DEQ completed an evaluation of available information and issued a “YES” determination for the “Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control” Environmental Indicator (EI) in accordance with the Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA).
- On June 1, 2012, DEQ completed an evaluation of available information and issued a “YES” determination for the “Current Human Exposures Under Control” EI in accordance with the GPRA.
- The primary constituents of concern in soil include benzo(a)pyrene and dibenz(a,h)anthracene. This is based on exceedance of the industrial regional screening level for direct contact.
- The primary constituents of concern in groundwater include petroleum related constituents; benzene, ethylbenzene, MTBE, naphthalene, isopropylbenzene, and 2-methylnaphthalene. Secondary constituents of concern in groundwater include arsenic and lead. This is based on exceedance of drinking water standards.
• Land use restrictions are anticipated as part of the final remedy.
• The Trades Center provides investigation and general status updates to the Environment and Energy Conservation Commission (E2C2), which is appointed by the County Board. The commission advises the County on environmental matters and its monthly meetings are advertised and open to the general public.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposure [PDF, 8 pages, 68 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 60 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Arlington County Equipment Division Photo||Arlington County Equipment Division Trades Center Map[PDF, 162 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- This facility is under continued use.
- The DEQ and EPA are dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact DEQ Project Manager Mr. Brett Fisher at (804) 698-4219 or Luis Pizarro at (215) 814-3444.