City of Chesapeake - Public Works
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Luis Pizarro
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
- The Facility is a storage yard used by the City of Chesapeake for heavy equipment, soil from excavations, reinforced concrete pipe, and solid waste soil and woody debris in roll-off containers.
- No hazardous waste is currently generated or stored at the Facility. In addition, no maintenance of equipment occurs at the Facility. Four areas of the Facility have been remediated to remove historic disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous waste, construction and demolition debris, tires, asbestos containing material and paint residue. Wastes and surrounding soils were excavated and disposed of off-site. A 2002 Consent Order required cleanup and closure of the areas. Clean Closure for soil and groundwater was approved by VDEQ in November 2005.
- A Final RCRA Site Visit Report was issued on December 24, 2008 for the Facility. A Statement of Basis (SOB) was noticed in The Virginian-Pilot on May 5, 2009. The EPA issued its Final Decision regarding the Facility on June 16, 2009 stating that Corrective Action was Complete without Controls.
- The Facility is located on a 3.75-acre lot in the Greenbrier section of the City of Chesapeake. The site is located in a developed commercial/industrial region. The Facility is bounded by the City of Chesapeake Traffic Engineering Field Office and Southeastern Public Service Authority Chesapeake Transfer Station to the north, railroad spurs to the west, and a radio tower and City of Chesapeake Mosquito Control facility to the east. The sites surface is a combination of vegetation and bare soil.
- Four areas of the Facility have been remediated to remove historic disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous waste, construction and demolition debris, tires, asbestos containing material and paint residue.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 8 pages, 378 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 10 pages, 484 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 4 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|City of Chesapeake - Public Works|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The site's use is yet to be determined.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Luis Pizarro (215) 814-3444.