Alliant Techsystems Inc
(located at Allegheny Ballistics Laboratory)
On This Page
Mr. Bill wentworth 3LC20
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Mr. Thomas L. Bass
601 57th Street
Charleston, WV 25304
Phone: (304) 926-0499
Mr. John Waugaman
Alliant Techsystems Inc
Allegany Ballistics Laboratory
210 State Route 956
Rocket Center, WV 26726
Phone: 304 697-5218
- This facility is one of EPA Region III's high priority RCRA corrective action sites. On August 25, 2005 WVDEP issued a Corrective Action Permit to the facility. Initial RFI activities were conducted primarily in December 2005 and January 2006. The activities included direct-push soil and groundwater sampling, surface water and sediment sampling, sump removal and confirmatory soil sampling, and water level monitoring. Based on the results of the first phase of the RFI, as well as information obtained from historical records a number of SWMUs were removed from further consideration during the on-going RFI activities. Additional RFI activities commenced November 2006 for the purpose of providing an adequate evaluation of the nature and extent of contamination such that the potential risks posed by the contamination can be assessed, and corrective measures implemented. Work on SWMU 34 is essentially completed with final closure pending.
- SWMU 27A, the Plant 1 Ditch System, has been investigated by CERCLA and is essentially closed for CERCLA contamination. The ABL surface water discharges are currently regulated by the ABL NPDES permit (WV0020371).
- A Vapor Intrusion Work Plan was recently approved and field work is anticipated this winter.
RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility are being conducted under the direction of the WVDEP with assistance from the EPA. The investigation and any necessary cleanup activities are being implemented in accordance with a WVDEP RCRA Permit, issued in August 2005.
Several volatile organic compounds (VOCs) were identified with trichloroethene as the most prevalent VOC detected. Chloroform and dibromochloromethane were also detected at low concentrations.
No institutional controls are currently in place.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 16 pp, 141KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 11 pp, 151KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Alliant Techsystems Inc|
The site has an unused parcel and also is under continued use.
For more information about EPA’s corrective action webpage, including Environmental Indicators, please visit our site at: www.epa.gov/reg3wcmd/correctiveaction.htm