Formerly Severstal Wheeling Inc.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Andrew Fan
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street- 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
In June 2, 1998 EPA issued a Unilateral Order to WPSC consistent with Section 3008(h) of Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), to 1) perform Interim Measures at the Facility to prevent or mitigate threats to human health or the environment; 2) perform a RCRA Facility Investigation (RFI) to determine fully the nature and extent of any release of hazardous waste and/or hazardous constituents at or from the Facility; and 3) perform a Corrective Measures Study (CMS) to identify and evaluate alternatives for corrective action necessary to prevent or mitigate migration or releases of hazardous wastes and/or hazardous constituents at or from the Facility.
WPSC has initiated Interim Measures in two areas 1) the Coal Tar Pipeline Release area and 2) the Byproducts area. These actions were taken to prevent or mitigate threats to human health and the environment.
WPSC submitted the RFI workplan on November 4, 1999. On January 5, 2000 EPA issued a conditional approval of the workplan to allow the installation of wells in Sector B. EPA issued further comments to WPSC on the entire RFI workplan on June 1, 2001. On July 5, 2001 WPSC responded to EPA comments. On March 6, 2003 EPA issued comments on the workplan. WPSC responded to EPA’s comments on April 3, 2003. EPA approved the workplan on December 9, 2003.
During April 2004, the Phase I Environmental Site assessments were begun, this work was completed in May 2004. Geoprobe borings, and well installations have been completed. Sediment and surface water sampling for Mahans Run has also been completed. EPA is currently reviewing all sampling data and groundwater monitoring results. The human health EI has been completed, current human exposure is under control.
WPSC submitted the RFI Phase I report in September, 2005. EPA provided comments on this report on July 8, 2009. WPSC provided a response to EPA comments on September 4, 2009 in addition to this response a Phase II RFI workplan was included. EPA provided comments to WPSC on the RFI report and Phase II workplan on December 6, 2011.
WPSC is currently in bankruptcy. A portion of the Site is also being considered for resale.
WPSC is a Coke Plant that has been in operation since 1917. Past and present operations include the production of metallurgical-grade coke for use in steel production, the processing of coke-oven gas in the Byproducts Plant, treatment of generated wastewater, and production of iron ore. The Plant consist of 588 acres.
Contaminants currently known to exist at the Facility include benzene, toluene, phenol, naphthalene, benz(a)anthracene, benzo(a)pyrene and chrysene.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments (Parcel A)[PDF, 3 pp, 143 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis for Parcel A [PDF, 5 pp, 2786 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis for Parcel - Brooke Sr Center [PDF, 5 pp, 646 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pp, 95 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is in continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. Andrew Fan (215) 814-3426.