On This Page
Mr. Bill wentworth 3LC20
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
West Virginia Division of Environmental Protection
601 57th Street
Charleston, WV 25304
Phone: (304) 238-1220
Mr. J Thomas Horan
Manager of Environmental Control
P.O. Box 191
New Martinsville, WV 26155
Phone: (304) 455-2200 ext. 3310
- Conducting an RCRA Facility Investigation (RFI) of 46 Solid Waste Management Units and 21 Areas of Concern to determine the extent and nature of any contamination;
- Implementing Interim Measures which included; removal of contaminated soil at four SWMUS capping one SWMU, implementing institutional controls at four SWMUS, and removing tanks at five SWMUS.
- Conduct a groundwater investigation, including constructing a groundwater model;
- Conduct a Corrective Measures Study
Extensive progress has been made with the cleanup of the PPG Industries. This facility is approximately 60 years old and is located on the Ohio River, in New Martinsville, West Virginia.
In 1989, EPA issued a RCRA corrective action permit to the company to proceed with site cleanup. EPA and the facility are working jointly to complete the requirements of the permit which include:
The final RFI report was submitted by PPG in July 1998 for EPA. EPA reviewed and approved the Final RFI with revisions. A groundwater monitoring program has been approved and is presently in place. A Visualization of Groundwater Contamination Report was completed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in December 2004. This report will provide information to help develop a groundwater management plan for the facility. Furthermore, a Revised Site Assessment Report has recently been completed for the Marshall Army Chemicals Plant, a Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS) that is located on the PPG property. Information from this report will be evaluated to better characterize the contamination at the site. During 2009 PPG conducted evaluations of some groundwater remedial technologies for potential interim measures implementation. PPG is presently conducting field testing of in-situ remedial technologies. PPG completed a pore-water/sediment sampling event on the Ohio River in October 2012. The results of that sampling effort will be provided to EPA during the first quarter of 2013.
Located in New Martinville, West Virginia, the PPG Industries Site encompasses approximately 400 acres with an additional 3200 acres of undeveloped property. The facility was built in 1943 for production of chlorine, hydrogen and caustic chemical products. PPG currently uses it for the production of inorganic and organic chemicals.
RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility are being conducted under the direction of EPA Region 3 and the WVDEP.
The main contaminants in the groundwater and surface water are benzene, ethyl benzene, chlorobenzene, substituted chlorobenzene isomers and phenolic compounds.
The PPG Industries Site borders the Ohio River in an industrial development with several other facilities. The nearest community is located within one mile of the facility.
Site access is controlled by a perimeter fence. To enter the site one must past through a check point manned by security personnel.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7 pp, 21KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 8 pp, 23 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|PPG Industries Interactive Map|
For more information about EPA’s corrective action webpage, including Environmental Indicators, please visit our site at: www.epa.gov/reg3wcmd/correctiveaction.htm