Ball Aerosol & Speciality Container Inc.
(Formerly: United States Can Co.)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Luis A. Pizarro 3LC20
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
- EPA met with the facility on October 6, 2009. EPA and the WVDEP will decide if additional information or sampling at the facility site is required to determine whether the environmental indicators have been met or if corrective action is required for the facility.
- In order to address the identified follow-up items, available data and reports are being reviewed by the EPA to determine the next steps in Corrective Action program and to make a determination with regard to the Environmental Indicators.
- The Facility is located at 3028 Birch Drive, Weirton, West Virginia, which is in the Half Moon Industrial Park. The Facility was originally known as Continental Can until 1987, when it changed its name to the US Can Company. In 2006, US Can Company was purchased by Ball Aerosol and Specialty Container Corporation. Throughout these name changes, the Facility has conducted the same or similar process, which is the production of metal products used in aerosol cans.
- The Facility fabricates components used in the manufacture of several varieties of cans by shearing steel rolls into sheets that are then painted and cured in drying ovens. The steel sheets can then receive additional painting and decorating on printing lines
- The surrounding parking area is paved with asphalt and the entire site is enclosed by an eight-foot high chain link fence with an entrance gate, which is locked during non-operating hours. A concrete loading dock is located on the western side of the building, which has historically been used for storage of several dozen steel, 55-gallon drums containing unused product. Adjacent to the loading dock is a concrete platform, which is used during waste handling operations. Three one-foot wide by four-foot long abandoned trench drains are located in the pavement, below the platform. A maintenance shop and office are located in the southeastern corner of the production area.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 8pp, 55 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 9pp, 51 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 6pp, 36 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
West Viriginia Dept of Enviromental Protection
Division of Waste Management
601 57th Street, SE
Charleston, WV 25304
Phone: (304) 926-0499
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Ball Aerosol & Speciality Container|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is in continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. Luis A. Pizarro (215) 814-3444.