Browning Ferris Ind.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Luis A. Pizarro 3LC20
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
West Virginia Division of Environmental Protection
Ms. Catherine Guynn
601 57th Street SE
Charleston, WV 25304
Phone: (304) 926-0499 ext. 1288
- EPA has determined that no further corrective action or controls are necessary at this time for this Facility. EPA's decision was based on a site visit and a review of EPA and West Virginia files regarding the environmental history of the Facility as presented in the Final Environmental Indicator Inspection Report submitted on January 6, 2010. Based on this review, EPA has concluded that there are no current or unaddressed releases of hazardous waste or hazardous constituents from the Facility.
- A Statement of Basis (SOB) seeking public comment on EPA's decision was noticed on July 9, 2010. The EPA issued its Final Decision regarding the Facility on August 13, 2010 stating that Corrective Action was Complete without Controls.
- The Facility is located at 2933 Sissonville Drive, Charleston, Kanawha County, West Virginia. The Facility, which covers 3.75 acres, is an irregularly shaped parcel of land that is bordered to the north, east, and south by sparse residential development; light industrial and commercial usage is present to the north and east; and heavily wooded area to the west
- The Sissonville property was originally developed in 1965 by beer distributor Seaton Distributing Company. Over time the property changed owners and uses including a BFI industrial cleaning operation that provided chemical and high-pressure water cleaning of industrial process equipment; blending and marketing of specialty detergents, solvents, and additives; collection and transportation of bulk and drummed liquid and solid waste; and segregation and storage of such wastes prior to shipment to permitted disposal facilities
- Around 1988, the Facility was acquired by Pittman Snax Sales. Pittman, the current owner, operates a vending machine servicing and supplying business. No hazardous waste is currently generated or stored at the facility.
- As a result of the various operators and site usage, a number of different structures have existed at the Facility. Originally, there was a large building along Sissonville Road that was used as an office, maintenance shop, and warehouse. Immediately south of this building was a separate equipment storage building and a shed was also noted to be present on the southern portion of the site, located up the hill and away from Sissonville Road. The site currently consists of one large building that is used by Pittman Snax as an office, maintenance shop, and production area. An abandoned waste disposal container is also located on the property
- During the cleaning process, the Facility utilized acids, alkalines, and solvents to clean tanks and equipment. The majority of the Facility's cleaning operations were conducted at client facilities with only a small percentage (1%) conducted at the subject facility. In the process, BFI reportedly generated 121 different waste streams that were either transported directly to disposal facilities or returned to the subject site for temporary storage
- Six groundwater monitoring wells are located throughout the site. Sporadic detections of benzene, chloroform, lead, benzo(a)pyrene, and bis(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate have been found in these wells above appropriate screening numbers.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 8pp, 60 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 9pp, 55 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 6pp, 37 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
West Viriginia Dept of Enviromental Protection
Division of Waste Management
601 57th Street, SE
Charleston, WV 25304
Phone: (304) 926-0499
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Browning Ferris Ind|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility use is to be determined.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. Luis A. Pizarro (215) 814-3444.