Safety-Kleen Systems, Inc. (Wheeling)
On This Page
Leonard Hotham 3LC20
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
- A meeting and site visit was conducted on October 7, 2009 at the Safety-Kleen Systems, Inc. facility in Wheeling, WV. The USEPA Region III and the WVDEQ is reviewing the available data and reports to determine the next steps in the Corrective Action program and to make a determination with regard to the groundwater Environmental Indicators.
- On September 9, 2011, EPA classified the site as meeting Human Health Environmental Indicator EI 725 (site currently protective of human health). Based on available data, there are no imminent threats to human health and the environment.
- Safety Kleen submitted to EPA a draft Well Installation and Summary Assessment Report for the Safety Kleen Wheeling, WV facility dated October 23, 2012. The Report describes the installation and monitoring of the two new wells, MW-5 and MW-6. PCE was detected in the samples collected from monitoring wells MW-5 and MW-6 at concentrations of 85 μg/L and 37 μg/L, respectively, which exceeds the West Virginia Groundwater Quality Standard (WVGWQS) of 5 μg/L and EPA’s Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) for PCE of 5 μg/L. Safety Kleen will investigate the PCE source.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments [PDF,26 pp, 1246 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF,18 pp, 1141KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 8 pp, 21KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pp, 427 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
For more information about EPA’s corrective action webpage, including Environmental Indicators, please visit our site at: www.epa.gov/reg3wcmd/correctiveaction.htm