Indoor Air Quality
Region 5 contacts
- Asbestos: Phillip King (firstname.lastname@example.org) 312-353-9062
- Asthma: Monica Paguia (email@example.com) 312-353-1166
- Radon: Mike Murphy (firstname.lastname@example.org) 312-353-6686
- School program
Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer among people who do not smoke, and is the second leading cause of lung cancer for people who do smoke. Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas released in rock, soil and water that can build up to dangerous levels inside any home. Radon gas is odorless and invisible and the only way to know if your home has radon is to test for it.
- Contact your State Radon Program Coordinators. They can provide you with additional information on radon, including a list of local certified and licensed (where applicable) radon testers and mitigation contractors.
- Where can I get a Radon Test Kit?
School and children's health training
- Comprehensive school and children's health training course
- Techniques and strategies to help improve the environmental quality of our Region's public and private schools.
- Complete overview of all school and children's health related programs for which Region 5 has responsibility.
- Developed to train EPA staff, state and local health and environmental department employees
- Can be modified for use as presentation materials for school districts, community groups, and other public, private and tribal partners.
- For more information contact Jeanette Marrero (email@example.com)
- Module 1: Creating Healthy School Environments (PDF) (16pp, 124K) February 2006
- Module 2: Basic Information on Children's Health (PDF) (15pp, 516K) February 2006
- An Overview of EPA programs
- Module 3: Overview of EPA programs: Integrated pest management, Lead, Asbestos (PDF) (2 pp, 643K) February 2006
- Module 4: Overview of EPA programs: Tools for Schools, Radon, Asthma, Outdoor air pollution, Environmental education (PDF) (37pp, 1.7MB) February 2006
- Module 5: Overview of EPA programs: Pollution prevention, Waste minimization, Safer management of chemicals, Lead in drinking water, healthy school environments assessment tool (PDF) (42pp, 878K) February 2006
- Module 6: Strategies to working with schools (PDF) (18pp, 397K) February 2006