R2 EMS PolicyUSEPA Region 2 Environmental Management System Policy
On April 21, 2000, Executive Order (EO) 13148,. "Greeningthe Government Through Leadership in
Environmental Management," was issued by the Office of the President. This Order established goals and
requirements for Federal agencies to improve environmental performance through management systems
and an emphasis on pollution prevention.
As one of his first orders of business, President Obama issued Executive Order 13514, reaffirming the need
to promote environmental stewardship that was initiated under E.G. 13148 and ensuring that environmental
management systems would continue to be incorporated into the strategic goals of all Federal Agencies
tiirough calendar year 2015.
Inspired by President Obama's leadership, we pledge to reinvigorate Region 2's EMS programs not only to
safeguard the environment, but also to promote environmental stewardship by establishing EMS programs
for all Region 2 Facilities. We are excited at the prospect of being the first federal agency to devise and
implement an EMS in the Caribbean and pledge to assist and support the Caribbean Environmental
Protection Division in this undertaking.
As noted in our original EPA Environmental Management System Implementation Policy, the Region 2
will continually strive to meet the following goals of the EMS:
- Ensure compliance by meeting or exceeding all applicable environmental and legal
- Continuously improve environmental performance in terms of both regulated and unregulated
- Employ source reduction and other pollution prevention approaches whenever possible.
- Require consideration of environmental factors when making planning, purchasing and
- Establish, track and review specific environmental objectives and targets.
- Provide training to educate our employees and others working in Region 2 office and lab
space to be environmentally responsible on the job, including encouraging the use of reusable
dishware and aiming toward zero waste at all EPA Region 2 meetings, events and ftinctions.
- Work cooperatively with other stakeholders to further common environmental objectives
- Recognize and reward accomplishments and take corrective action to address noncon
- Share information on environmental performance with our employees and the public and
allow appropriate opportunities for input into EMS development and implementation.
- Maintain documentation of all efforts and steps to execute the Region 2 EMS
In addition to our annual reviews on environmental goals and adherence to this policy, we invite interested
parties to provide us with input that will improve our efforts to promote environmental stewardship.