About Federal FacilitiesEPA Region 2 oversees compliance assessment, assistance, enforcement, and cleanup activities at facilities throughout New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Program responsibilities range from air permitting and Superfund oversight to pollution prevention and wetlands protection. Federal facilities are treated as an independent sector through the regional Federal Facility Compliance, Environmental Review and Superfund Programs.
EPA Region 2's Federal Facility Compliance Program
The primary goal of EPA Region 2's Federal Facility Compliance Program is to ensure that federal facilities in Region 2 reach a level of compliance with environmental requirements that equal or surpass the rest of the regulated community. To accomplish this goal, EPA Region 2:
- Conducts environmental management reviews at federal facilities to determine how effective their environmental programs and management systems are in ensuring compliance and promoting environmental excellence;
- Holds interagency forums, quarterly roundtable meetings, workshops, and annual conferences to disseminate information and facilitate discussion of environmental issues;
- Develops brochures, websites, guidance documents, and other materials to help federal facilities understand and comply with environmental regulations, laws, statutes, and Executive Orders;
- Assists the Federal Facility community in identifying and implementing pollution prevention (P2) opportunities through P2 opportunity assessments, participation in P2 partnerships, establishing focus groups, sponsoring training, and disseminating P2 information;
- Targets Federal Facilities for single and multi-media inspections based on past compliance records, national, regional, and state program priorities and potential risks to the environment and public health; and
- Takes enforcement actions in accordance with the Guide to Environmental Compliance and Enforcement at Federal Facilities, a.k.a. The Yellow Book.
To learn more about EPA Region 2's Federal Facilities Compliance Program, please contact Kathleen Malone, EPA Region 2's Federal Facilities Program Manager. She can be reached by phone at 212-637-4083 or via E-mail at email@example.com.
EPA Region 2's Environmental Review Program
The three goals of EPA Region 2's Environmental Review Program are to:
- conduct environmental reviews for all appropriate EPA Region 2 actions, in accordance with the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA);
- coordinate EPA Region 2's reviews, pursuant to NEPA and Section 309 of the Clean Air Act, of projects and regulations proposed by other federal agencies, for environmental soundness and compliance with EPA-administered statutes and policies; and
- oversee environmental review activities carried out by states in support of federally funded state revolving funds (SRFs) for environmental infrastructure improvement projects.
To learn more about EPA Region 2's Environmental Review Program, please contact Grace Musemeci, Chief, Environmental Review Section. She can be reached by phone at 212-637-3738 or via E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EPA Region 2's Federal Facilities Superfund Program
The two primary goals of EPA Region 2's Federal Facilities Superfund Program is to implement the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) at federal sites and to serve as the regional point of contact on all environmental matters relating to the closing of military bases under the Department of Defense's Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC). To accomplish these goals, EPA Region 2:
- Evaluates federally owned or operated sites for environmental contamination that may require cleanup;
- Directly supervises environmental cleanup at sites that qualify for the National Priority List (sites that do not qualify for the NPL are referred to state or other federal authorities for cleanup);
- Maintains the Hazardous Waste Compliance Docket of environmental information on federally owned or operated sites under CERCLA Section 120(c);
- Coordinates with EPA HQ and other EPA regions, through the Federal Facilities Leadership Council, to assure national consistency of Superfund activities;
- Provides technical assistance to other federal agencies, especially the Department of Defense, under BRAC;
- Coordinates Superfund/BRAC activities with state agencies; and
- Participates in the review of federal agency environmental budgets (e.g., Department of Defense "Peer Reviews," site specific NPL site budget reviews);
To learn more about EPA Region 2's Federal Facilities Superfund Program, please contact Bob Wing, Chief, Federal Facilities Superfund Section. He can be reached by phone at 212-637-4332 or via E-mail at email@example.com.