Serving New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Eight Tribal Nations.
Food Service Operations
Core Competency Areas
- Lodging Facilities Management
- Restaurant Management
- Selection, Procurement, and Supply Management
- Catering and Special Events Management
- Food Service Operations
- Green Meetings
- Human Resources Management
- Managerial Accounting
- Public Relations and Marketing
- Laws and Regulations
Desired Core Competencies
- Understand sustainable food systems, practices of sustainable food citizenship, global food systems, food security and food sovereignty, the relationship to transportation and environmental costs, and the principles of environmentally preferable purchasing.
Example Topics to Explore
- Buy local, organic, free range, and/or sustainable food products.
- Donate excess food to shelters or allow employees to take home.
- Purchase pantry staples in bulk with minimal packaging.
- Use reusable rather than disposable items (e.g., dishes, silverware, mugs).
- Final Report: Farm to College: Reducing Food Miles through Direct Purchasing
- EPA's Food Waste
- EPA's Food Security
- EPA's Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- Yale Sustainable Food Project
- Going Green