Serving New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Eight Tribal Nations.
Lodging Facilities Management
Core Competency Areas
- Lodging Facilities Management
- Restaurant Management
- Selection, Procurement, and Supply Management
- Catering and Special Events Management
- Food Service Operations
- Green Meetings
- Human Resources Management
- Managerial Accounting
- Public Relations and Marketing
- Laws and Regulations
Desired Core Competencies
- Understand environmental impacts of facility's operation and options for reducing impacts.
- Understand environmental impacts of electronics purchases, use, recycling, and disposal.
- Understand concept of an environmental management system and how it can be applied to the hospitality industry.
- Understand ISO 140001 (the most widely accepted international standard for EMS) and its applicability to the hospitality sector.
Example Topics to Explore
- Develop and implement an environmental management system (EMS).
- Reduce energy usage.
- Reduce water usage.
- Maximize resource efficiency.
- Maximize quality of indoor air.
- Use integrated pest management strategies.
- Compost waste from grounds/facility.
- Procure, operate and maintain, and dispose of electronic equipment to reduce the environmental impacts of electronic equipment which may consume significant energy during use, contain toxic constituents, and present complex challenges when disposed.
- EPA's Environmental Management Systems (EMSs)
- EPA's Indoor Air Quality
- EPA's Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Principles
- EPA's Environmental Management Systems: An Implementation Guide for Small and Medium-Sized Organizations [PDF136 pp, 2.1MB]
- Federal Electronics Challenge
- Going Green