Jewett White Lead Company
Richmond Terrace, NY
No meeting scheduled.
Wanda Ayala (212) 637-3676
The Jewett White Lead Site consists of two properties (2000 Richmond Terrace and 2015 Richmond Terrace) that span both sides of Richmond Terrace in Port Richmond, Staten Island. The Site was formerly used by John Jewett & Sons White Lead Company to manufacture white lead during the period of 1830 to 1898. National Lead Industries purchased the business and operated at the location for several decades. Between 1949 and 1990, various businesses operated at the location including Sedutto's Ice Cream factory and Moran Towing Corporation.
Elevated levels of lead were found in the community. EPA conducted tests using a sort of "fingerprint" that would tell if Jewett was a significant contributing source to the lead levels. Based upon EPA's findings, it does not appear that Jewett was a significant contributing source to the lead levels found in the backyards or in the community. The "fingerprint" from the Jewett site and the "fingerprint" from the surrounding community are different, indicating that most of the lead comes from other sources, including lead-based paint, past industrial activities, and lead left over in the environment from when leaded gasoline was still in use.
EPA has selected a Superfund removal action for the 2000-2012 Richmond Terrace property portion of the Jewett White Lead site. The decision is documented in the Action Memorandum for the Site dated December 21, 2011. The cleanup will consist of removing lead contaminated soil from the 2000-2012 Richmond Terrace property and disposing it at an EPA approved landfill facility. An Engineering Evaluation/Cost Analysis (EE/CA) was completed in March 2011, identifying the excavation and removal of the contaminated soils as EPA's preferred removal alternative. It is anticipated that the cleanup will begin in the Spring of 2012.